The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Lope Help (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/lope-help-26016/)

Spastic_Dove 04-14-2009 05:45 PM

Lope Help

So I have tried all my normal resources and they're not really working so I thought that I would ask you guys.

What are some ways to get your horse into a controlled lope. Up until about a few weeks ago, Diesel had a very nice, controlled, forward lope. All of the sudden when I ask him to lope, he trots really fast for about 5 strides and then goes into a hollowed out speedy canter.

I have worked on spiraling circles, serpantines (He likes to speed up on the straight part of them) Figure eights, etc.

Any ideas?

KTSpeedhorse 04-14-2009 05:49 PM

My mare was doing this 2 weeks ago. I have come to the conclusion that it was due to pain. I took her to Sid Erickson and her back, neck and hip were out. It may be causing him pain to go right into a lope. This may not be the case for your guy, but after we left Sid's and I gave her a few days she was back to a nice smooth transition to a controled lope. Just a suggestion ; )

Spastic_Dove 04-14-2009 05:52 PM

Hmm...Sid was out awhile ago and saw him and he was fine. Maybe next time he is out here, I will ask him to take another look.

KTSpeedhorse 04-14-2009 06:00 PM

Well, like I said...it may not be your case. Just sounded farmilliar to the situation I was having. It's spring you know, maybe he's jsut being frisky and a dink LOL.

KTSpeedhorse 04-14-2009 06:00 PM

LOL...I mean acting like a dink lol.

Spastic_Dove 04-14-2009 06:01 PM

He probably is. He's a dork sometimes lol

onetoomany 04-15-2009 12:30 AM

The best luck I've had is just letting my mare lope it out. I'll pretty much throw out contact and use my reins minimally for guiding etc. For the most party I just try to keep out of her face and if she falls off the circle I rock her little world and then kick her back onto it. I've struggled with loping nicely for a while as my mare is very... foward oriented. When my mare starts out really rushy and high headed I'll just keep her going until her speed evens out and she rounds up. Usually only takes her about 1-2 circles to simmer down and then I switch directions. Not sure if this is something you've already tried, but good luck.

EternalSun 04-15-2009 01:57 PM

This helped me a lot. I'm a HUGE fan of Clinton's.

Spastic_Dove 04-15-2009 02:53 PM

I've tried letting him just pick his own pace like you suggested, onetoomany. This usually works for him, but lately that pace is quick and strung out. I've been throwing in a lot more transistions in the hopes that he will be listening for my stop cue...however when I ask for a whoa (with my seat then hands) he hollows out and it takes a lot longer than normal.

I can't watch that video right now since I am at work (no sound) but I will definitely look at it when I get home...I'm usually a fan of him.

I'm still trying to find out when Sid is coming next to double check his back..

onetoomany 04-15-2009 03:36 PM

I'd just keep loping and loping and loping and loping etc. My mare was a complete yahoo yesterday (first time in the outdoor doing serious work) and it took a long while for her to get back to business. Could just be season change with your gelding too. Pressure and weather changes always make them a little goofy. Makes people kind of goofy too come to think of it.