The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Anybody else find riding thoroughbreds different? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/anybody-else-find-riding-thoroughbreds-different-260809/)

Alexandra V 08-21-2013 11:24 AM

Anybody else find riding thoroughbreds different?

Hey all, I haven't been riding for a very long time (since spring) but it's definitely I have no intention of stopping!

I went to check out a new barn where my friend and I will be taking lessons together, and for my "assessment" I was put on a little ottb! I'm used to riding quarter horses and the occasional Appaloosa, and this felt really different to me! Is it just me or does anyone else notice a difference between riding tbs and the other breeds?
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 08-21-2013 11:40 AM

Not so much that TB's are different, but all horses are different:lol:

The differences between breeds though can be large, I love Haflingers, but didn't like riding them, such a short gait, due to short legs:wink: I love the way my Arabs ride, they have a similar feel to each other, but they are mother and daughter. I grew up riding TB's, nice horses to ride, for the main part.

Saddlebag 08-21-2013 11:41 AM

The other breeds move closer to the ground whereas the tbs are often more floaty and forward moving.

Taffy Clayton 08-21-2013 11:56 AM

They are wonderfully different!

Corporal 08-21-2013 12:05 PM

If you can sit a TB's extended trot, that's the measure of a good seat. TB's were bred to race long distance. They never shoot out of the gate quickly. Instead they have "gears", and it takes on the track several gears before they are really covering ground.
YOU CANNOT START FAST OR STOP FAST on a TB. You will frustrate yourself if you want to do a sport that requires this ON a TB, just FYI.
Otherwise, many people love their TB's for their heart. =D

BlueSpark 08-21-2013 12:16 PM

I love riding thoroughbreds and arabs the best, I have a hard time re adjusting to the way a stock horse moves.

Zexious 08-21-2013 12:21 PM

Like someone above said, it's not that Thoroughbreds are different, it's that all horses are different (both in terms of breed, and in terms of individuals).

They can be put into groups, though, to make categorizing a bit easier. Quarter Horses and Appies are generally "Stock" horses, and have relatively similar traits/excel at similar disciplines. Thoroughbreds are a "Sport" type, and are used for different things.

I have ridden tons of Thoroughbreds, and I love them. Congrats on the new riding program!

BarrelracingArabian 08-21-2013 12:27 PM

I agree with others. I rode with my trainer and every one of her horses was different. Her APHA gelding was so big but had this little tiny jog thing, where her 14 hh buckskin quarter horse had a huge trot and so on. I love the diversity from horse to horse. I rode a tb mare awhile back who had a slide to die for she was a witch though she'd be going full extended trot and the second you got comfortable she'd slam those breaks haha.

Shoebox 08-21-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 3417761)
If you can sit a TB's extended trot, that's the measure of a good seat. TB's were bred to race long distance. They never shoot out of the gate quickly. Instead they have "gears", and it takes on the track several gears before they are really covering ground.
YOU CANNOT START FAST OR STOP FAST on a TB. You will frustrate yourself if you want to do a sport that requires this ON a TB, just FYI.
Otherwise, many people love their TB's for their heart. =D

I'm going to respectfully disagree. These horses don't come out of the gate fast because their riders don't let them - if you come out rocket fast you loose stamina early on .

HOWEVER - and I work at a racetrack and have seen dang near every race this summer - when they're at liberty (meaning when they pull away from their handlers, dump their riders and take off) they go from 0 to top speed in a split second.

I can't vouch for stopping fast, as they always intentionally slow them to a trot, then a walk. But they sure as heck can start fast when they want to.

Endiku 08-21-2013 01:37 PM

I dunno... the TB mare that I've been working lately sure can stop fast when she sees something potentially treacherous on the trail (like a weird leaf, shadow, spiderweb, ugly bug, or stick for instance) and she can darn near come 3 feet off the ground and go into 'RUN FOR YOUR LIFE' warp speed gallop all at the same time when she sees a pig or turkey. My butt can attest to that....see, SHE may be able to do that, but my seat hasn't quite mastered the full-throttle-from-a-quiet-halt or the slam-on-the-breaks-we-might-just-die stop yet. She's teaching me quickly though! LOL