The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Clinton Anderson's Working With Mustangs Part 1-3? Help!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/clinton-andersons-working-mustangs-part-1-a-26104/)

Shananigan 04-15-2009 07:48 PM

Clinton Anderson's Working With Mustangs Part 1-3? Help!!!

Hello! I've recently become interested in Natural Horsemanship. The other day I was surfing through RFD-TV and saw "Downunder Horsemanship" the information was Clinton Anderson working with an apprentice/ Working with Mustangs Part 4. Now I started picking up that there were episodes before the one I was watching on the same horse. So I got online and found that there is "Working With Mustangs Part 1-6" I however have come in at Episode 4! I have set my DVR to record the rest of the episodes, but I had a very important question!!

Question number 1) Do you think they will air the Episodes of "Working With Mustangs Part 1-3" again? Each episode is one part. Or is it a one time deal? Please, I really, really want to see part 1-3, I think it'd help me with working on my boy Rebel who I have been trouble working with.
Question number 2) if they aren't going to air on TV again, could I find it somewhere online? I looked on his website, but they only gave the first airing dates and didn't say whether they'd play again. Also, I looked at his DVD's forsale and they didn't have anything about "Working With Mustangs". Please any and ALL information would be very helpful and appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!

kim_angel 04-15-2009 08:11 PM

If you join his No Worries club they have a section that has all of his RFD shows that you can download or watch online.

Shananigan 04-15-2009 09:16 PM

Thank you kim angel!!! Now another question! haha I've signed up to the "No Worries" club, but it won't let me veiw anything:shock: On the home page you don't see any of the topics, when I go to TV Shows it says I haven't been accepted by the administrator or asks if I'm doing some admin tasks. Basically I don't have access to that or any other board:-( Do you know why? Are you a member of the club? Thank you!

Spirithorse 04-15-2009 11:41 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to pay to be in his No Worries club. Maybe that's why you can't view anything? idk, I'm not a follower or a fan of Clinton's.

Shananigan 04-16-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure you have to pay to be in his No Worries club. Maybe that's why you can't view anything? idk, I'm not a follower or a fan of Clinton's.
lol I just sent you a PM asking what you thought of him! Obviously I didn't veiw this thread first:wink:

I'm not a Clinton Anderson fan, I'm not really anyones fan yet haha I might not ever be. I am becoming a fan of Natural Horsemanship though, so I'm trying too see all the different trainers and their varying techniques:-)

I think you're right on paying to be able to use the club.:shock:

This is for everyone, what are your veiws on Clinton Anderson, or Parelli? Do you know a different Natural Horsemanship person who you favor more instead of Anderson or Parelli? Voice your opinion! I might need to start a new thread, because this is kind of off the topic of this one. We'll see though! I'm not looking to start an arguement haha I'm just curious!:-)

mls 04-16-2009 03:20 PM

I am a big fan of Clinton.

He still tours and does clinics for other organizations - not just his own.

Spirithorse 04-16-2009 06:27 PM

You already know my answer ;) lol.

kim_angel 04-17-2009 07:57 AM

I am a big Clinton fan. I think he is straight to the point, no behind the scenes stuff ... and he says things in plain english so you know what he means. Very easy to follow. My husband has really been following Clintons instructions and you can see the huge difference in Cherokee.

Yes, the club is a pay thing. You can pay 19.99 a month and see if you like it and just cancel if you dont. :) There are lots of great things on the club site as well as the forums there.

Oh and free tickets to Clintons tour for members.

Calamity Jane 04-18-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shananigan (Post 289581)
This is for everyone, what are your veiws on Clinton Anderson, or Parelli? Do you know a different Natural Horsemanship person who you favor more instead of Anderson or Parelli? Voice your opinion! I might need to start a new thread, because this is kind of off the topic of this one. We'll see though! I'm not looking to start an arguement haha I'm just curious!:-)

I've been leaning toward the ones who started it all...studying their books and following their philosophy (they're like the "founders" of NH..that is, helped bring it to the public):

Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt. Unfortunately, both dead now, but their books are AWESOME and I did get to see Ray in person doing one of his clinics, that was cool.

As for your question about CA or PP:

They're all basically basic foundation same basic principals. Did I say 'basic' enough times?:D

But seriously, under the titles and names and games and whatever....regardless of who you choose to listen to or take tidbits from....it's all the same basic stuff:

Communication through consistent repetitive cues.

The horse is pushy on the lead? Pressure when he's too close. No pressure when he's not. He learns to find the release of pressure and learns not to be pushy anymore. Learns where he's supposed to lead. Then you don't have to keep repeating eventually the horse gets it and doesn't get pushy anymore (as long as you stay consistent in your handling, so you can't allow the horse to be pushy one day and demand that he not be the next)

CA is a quite demanding trainer. Doesn't waste time with too many steps and doesn't mince words. He tells the horse to move. The horse moves or the horse gets more pressure now in no uncertain terms, BUT he is (in my opinion) fair with how he handles it. He's not shy to up the pressure, but from watching him on tv and seeing him in person several clinics and symposiums, I like his no-nonsense but fair approach. It has helped me immensily with troubled horses. I get further faster with less stress on the horse.

I practice his lunging for respect on every horse I get my hands on (part 1 and 2) before I go to bridlework (John Lyons) and desensitizing mixed in and then under saddle work (bridlework repeated under saddle: John Lyons).

I do a lot of the flexing and hip work (disengaging) which helps like you wouldn't believe to get every kind of cue into a horse from a:
come to me cue to a one rein stop to a sidepass (part) to leads, to steering, etc...

I got certified through John Lyons, so I do the bridlework and follow more the quiet way of training vs the "get er done now" of CA.

Chris Cox's way to ask the horse to drop his head is awesome (rocking the head side to side) really works great for horses who tend to snooze and ignore.

Chrix Cox's quartering a horse stead of the regular round penning is the best.

I did go through Pat Parelli's Level One a long time ago but it just wasn't for me. I like more bare bones stuff and all the right-brain left brain stuff was too much for my brain. I think there's of course a level of psycology to it (see it through the horse's eyes, understand him first) but I think that bare bones training is lost in too much detailed analysis. That's just my opinion, though. I know a lot of people love it and frankly, I think that's awesome.

My main concern is for the horse. Is it fair to the horse? Is the trainer trying to make life better, easier for the horse? Trying to teach the horse how to get the peace he deserves/wants out of life with people? Then I'm all for it, you know? I think overall, that's my main concern.

I like to pick from all, big names and not....and tweak the lessons to suit the horse. I used to go by the John Lyons certified title, but now I just say I'm an NH trainer. I study all of em. It's good to see who's out there and what they have to say. Good or bad, you can learn from everybody.:wink:

The ones I watched on RFDtv when I used to get it (**** directv!):?
Chris Cox :D
John Lyons (used to be on rfdtv):D
Clinton Anderson :D
Craig Cameron :D
_________
Can't stomach/understand:
Ray Gingrich....sorry, but I just don't get it. Too much editing and too gimmicky in the sense of making it look dramatic by filming the clients crying and letting the whole deal unfold like a melodrama with details that have nothing to do with whatever it is he does with the horse (which he deosn't really reveal!) Then he asks a client to ride a horse that bucks? that rears? to show him what the problem is? he takes risks with getting people hurt and he doesn't explain things well enough that leave me feeling icky inside. Just by watching him he seems like more ego than training.

Walkamile 04-18-2009 03:45 AM

Calamity Jane, you named my favorite trainers
John Lyons (used his methods to train Walka)
Chris Cox
Clinton Anderson
an other one is Julie Goodnight, straight to the point all dots connected. :lol:

The one thing that Ryan G does that I like is he teaches the go forward cue at the girth line. Like it because it makes sense to me that it will translate easier when in saddle. But the rest I've seen of him, jury still out on. :?

I draw from all these trainers, some work at a little more pressure than I'm comfortable at, but still the principals are good and solid.