The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   So I drove for the first time Tuesday... (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/so-i-drove-first-time-tuesday-261105/)

Kotori 08-21-2013 07:23 PM

So I drove for the first time Tuesday...

And I'm hooked :D. I got to drive a cute little pally mini, and even though I was a little nervous in the beginning, since she didn't tell me how to steer, slow or stop before sending me off, I didn't really feel out of control. I was trotting less then 5 minutes after getting in, and could go through jump standards with ease!

It only got better once she told me how to slow him down, but I never got anxious or locked up the way I do during riding! Needless to say, I see alot of driving in my future...maybe my first horse will be a rescue mini. It'd certainly be easier to convince my parents...

littrella 08-21-2013 09:00 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of driving. Have fun, be safe & sharing pictures is a must!

Taffy Clayton 08-24-2013 11:05 AM

Congratulations! Where are the photos?

Kotori 08-25-2013 01:02 PM

Well, I drove again today and it was a little more 'eh'. Trainer wanted me to go with a whip, and I couldn't hold it right. She had me holding it so the part I'm supposed to tap him with was hitting the saddle, and I'm bad with whips anyway. It was an actual lesson this time, and I wasn't allowed to just zip around like I could last time. She told me to stay away from the wall because I could flip, then told me to get closer to the wall. I think it was just me though- school and marching has killed my patience.

I was going to take pictures, but I forgot. And I'm not allowed to handle him alone because he is a stallion.

Taffy Clayton 08-25-2013 01:45 PM

Good instructor, you are supposed to use the whip in the saddle area. One of the main functions of the whip is to replace the rider's leg aids. You are supposed to hold the whip at the 10 0'clock spot. Hitting with the whip on the rump can encourage kicking.

Good job, it gets really fun. Photos next time please!