The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   The New Word whatever number it is (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/new-word-whatever-number-261145/)

farmpony84 08-21-2013 08:07 PM

The New Word whatever number it is

My new laptop has Word8 or whatever it is and I absolutely hate it.

I need help. I don't know how to shut down apps once I've opened them. I've tried the escape key and I've looked for an "x" or a "close" and I can't find it anywhere so I just go back to the desktop and switch to the next thing.

I also can't figure out how to jump from one document to another, like if I'm working on word and excel at the same time and I want to switch.

HELP PLEASE!

jaydee 08-21-2013 08:58 PM

Don't ask me
I'm still struggling with the fact that if a fly lands on my touch screen it all goes totally berserk -its like having a haunted computer, I can come in and all sorts of things will be open

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 08-22-2013 02:37 AM

to close an app you put your mouse pointer at the top center edge of the screen and it turns into a hand. Left click the mouse and you will see the hand sort of close while holding the left click down drag it all the way down to the very bottom of your screen and then let go of the left click . I am not familiar with office products but I know you can snap 2 apps on wiindows 8 so if it works with the documents as well (and I am thinking it should) you can have one document snapped to each side of your screen and see both documents at the same time and work with them. If you dont know how to snap an app (or document) just open it and then with your mouse drag it all the way over to the side it will "snap " to the side and cover only half your screen.

farmpony84 08-22-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARTEMISBLOSSOM (Post 3425234)
to close an app you put your mouse pointer at the top center edge of the screen and it turns into a hand. Left click the mouse and you will see the hand sort of close while holding the left click down drag it all the way down to the very bottom of your screen and then let go of the left click . I am not familiar with office products but I know you can snap 2 apps on wiindows 8 so if it works with the documents as well (and I am thinking it should) you can have one document snapped to each side of your screen and see both documents at the same time and work with them. If you dont know how to snap an app (or document) just open it and then with your mouse drag it all the way over to the side it will "snap " to the side and cover only half your screen.

Oh My Gosh! How is one supposed to know that?!:shock:

Joe4d 08-22-2013 04:36 PM

Think I will keep my windows 7 machine. I wont touch 8. they can keep it. Sure hope they learn from this debacle.
OS so bad it is killing PC sales , yet they wont admit that is the problem. Lots of people just like me that are keeping what they have and waiting.

farmpony84 08-22-2013 08:29 PM

It might be cool for a tablet but not for a laptop. I did close an app today though, thank you ART! I also snapped some things, that is kind of neat... still not in love with it though..

SouthernTrails 08-24-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 3423265)
I'm still struggling with the fact that if a fly lands on my touch screen it all goes totally berserk -its like having a haunted computer

A fly?

Wow.........:lol::lol:

I have Window 8 on my new laptop, have tried countless times to purge the operating system and install windows XP pro, no luck :-(

I have read a dozen tech tips on how to do it, none of them work :cry::cry:

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 08-24-2013 11:23 AM

Southern most likely the reason that you are having difficulty installing windows xp on your windows 8 computer is because windows 8 uses a different bios (UEFI) and you would first need to switch the bios to Legacy before trying to install xp.
Did you know that windows xp is being completely retired in April? There will be no updates or support (you will not even be able to call Microsoft and pay for tech help), Perhaps downgrading to windows 7 would be a better way to go. If you absolutely needed windows xp to run some older software you could always install windows 7 professional and then put windows virtual machine on it and run xp through that.

Darrin 08-29-2013 02:08 PM

Haven't used 8 myself but if you have to go through that to close a window....Well I guess I don't want 8. FYI, might try leaving task manager open(CTRL+ALT+DELETE) and using it to shut down programs.

Chokolate 08-31-2013 01:00 AM

You mean windows 8? Yeah, it's horrible.

When I got my laptop I got Classic Shell which gives you the normal start bar, desktop, etc. like all the others but you can still have the tile thingy if you want it. Waaaayyy better. And it's free and takes a minute to download. (I sound like an advertiser lol.)

Heres a link: Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements
select 'download' and pick the latest!