The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   I know exactly what to do, until one stride before the jump (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/i-know-exactly-what-do-until-261193/)

Tasia 08-21-2013 09:18 PM

I know exactly what to do, until one stride before the jump

So started on a new horse in early July. Shes a 14yo paint/TB with a wack load of miles and jump time with my coach before she was a broodmare two years ago. Anyways rode her after she was weaned from her baby in camp for a week, went awesome and did everything I told her too. 2 weeks later I got her into shape and did an event with her and the week before she kept stopping over the a tire jump and I fell off three times, but she was fine the next day and did amazing at the event. Fast forward to now, I have a big show with her next Wednesday-Saturday and I jumped her yesterday and didnt make a decision on direction until after the jump and she went one way, and I went the other, resulting in me falling off. Anyways got back on, jumped some more and everything is dandy.
Today I had a lesson on her and warm up when great did some 2ft jumps on a circle than bumped the height to 3-3'3 still great and then my coach set up the triple bar and I almost folded...I've never jumped one before and nevermind that high! (A little under 3'9) however the horse I was on had done them.
So I begin with the 3'3 vertical into the oxer and she feels fine, I counted and she veered out and in deeked the jump. I fell off, of course...
Then hop back on, I get over but I didnt understand the feeling of a triple bar and sat down to late, falling on her neck (which she hates!)

I back on and I REALLY thought it was going to work but according to my coach and lesson partner, when she went to lift her feet off the ground, I stopped her with my reins and my body, then chucked myself over the jump, so I scared the poor thing half to death and she spun away, nailing my lower leg with her hoof, which at the time I hardly felt.

Anyways coach gets on her, she does it amazingly with no sense of hesitancy 4 or 5 times. I then hop back on and just jump the vertical and I go to put my leg on her and it felt like a knife was in my calf. So I rode her away and cooled her out as my coach checked my leg ( just and FYI think I sprained it pretty good, Im sitting on the couch with it iced now.)

Back to my point, where the heck is my confidence??? its shot, I can't stay on to save my life, Anything over 3'0 makes so nervous and im not impressing my coach either. I understand what I do wrong which is either abandoning with my leg and my seat or completly shutting her down as she takes off, but do you think I can tell myself that before a jump? No... Im also assuming that my upper body fails somehow? Because I feel like thats how im shutting her down.
Thank you for reading if you did, I dont have any aspirations to be a huge jumper but I'd really like to make it through this show next week without falling off.

Thank you
T

alexischristina 08-21-2013 09:44 PM

It sounds like you need to bring it down a notch. Lower the heights and start working on your technical stuff, making up your mind, getting your balance, etc. From the way you describe it you're just not READY to be jumping the height your coach has you at.

toto 08-21-2013 09:48 PM

Sounds like your coach is pushing you a little too hard or youre trying to impress the coach?

If you aint comfortable- dont jump that high- jump at your own comfort level and gain your confidence.

Right before the jump i drive my horse forward- they can feel the slight hint of a hesitation and will act on it quicker than you can recover.. to stop that youll need to be confident and push her forward.

Jumoing shouldnt be scary- its a fun thing- if youre not having fun its time to take it down to your pace and your trainer should know what your riding level is at- - dont be afraid to tell the coach you aint comfortable theyll work with you to get you in your comfort zone.

Just have fun! Thats what riding is all about. :mrgreen:

MyBoyPuck 08-21-2013 10:03 PM

So the first triple combination you ever attempt is minimum of 3' high?? Sorry, but that does not sound like a good plan unless the goal is to completely overface yourself and your horse. If you're coming off that many times in a single lesson, you need to back up a bit and find the holes in your training whether they be physical or mental.

jimgreene 09-12-2013 11:02 PM

ouch. really?

jumanji321 09-13-2013 01:41 AM

Sounds like you are jumping way too high for your skill level. Lower the jumps and work on your strength and position. You shouldn't be falling off that often and as you said, it's destroying your confidence.