The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Should i quit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/should-i-quit-26126/)

HorseLover123 04-16-2009 05:29 AM

Should i quit?

Hello,i have been riding for 5 years and have been to 3 different stables.
At the first stable i got bullied and had 5 bad falls cause the horses werent trained right and i lost alot of confidence.The second stable i kept getting the same horses i didnt like.I thought i liked the riding school im at now but i always get bad luck no matter where i go :?
I went to my first horse show last year which was held at the riding school and i got last place cause a school horse i was riding (Belle) bucked so high her tail went right over my head,luckily i didnt fall off but i lost both my stirrups.My second show was yesterday and i was on a school horse called Echo and she wouldnt canter then woulndt trot for me then i got told to leave the arena :cry::-x i was so angry i threw my showjacket on the ground and cried.I dont jump with horses cause i lost confidence and never got it back no matter how hard i tried to get it back and i just want to be a good rider but for the past few months i dont find riding very fun,its all too serious and every stable i go to i never fit in with anyone :cry: or the horses:-(

Help?

HorseLover123 x

ChingazMyBoy 04-16-2009 05:53 AM

Don't give up just keep trying to find the right stable for you. And get your mum to talk to your instructor about what has happended and how you have lost alot of your confidence and that you don't want to do riding seriously just yet. Maybe have private lessons?

HorseLover123 04-16-2009 06:45 AM

Hey ChingazMyBoy,I already have private lessons,i used to have group lessons but it wasted alot of my time because people were different levels of riding from me,i only ride once a week for half an hour. (they dont do hour private lessons)

ChingazMyBoy 04-16-2009 06:55 AM

So have you lost your confidene? Or did I read it wrong?

If you have lost your confidence maybe you should ask your instructor to take you back a step. You may be thinking that you don't want to go back a step cause you already know how to do what you would be doing. But it would be worth it many olympic riders go make steps in their riding more then once in there horse riding. Also maybe find a riding friend at the same leve and do lessons together?

Chingazmyboy.

smrobs 04-16-2009 07:40 AM

I agree with Chinga, give it a little more time. Visit with your trainer and just let them know exactly how you are feeling. They should be willing to work with you and if not, maybe you should look for another barn that is more willing to help. If you feel the need to stop riding for a while, then I won't argue with you but I just hate to see someone lose their passion after a few bad experiences. I will share with you one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite horse movies.....

"Everybody loses a couple. And you either pack up and go home or you keep fighting!"

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

trashcore 04-16-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 289393)
I just hate to see someone lose their passion after a few bad experiences.

I agree with smrobs.
But I do think that should defiantly be your choice.

If you decide to continue riding, good luck to you!

HorseLover123 04-16-2009 09:19 AM

Yes i have lost confidence,and thanks everyone for your help,it has really got me thinking about whats been going on.I think im just doing the same thing a lot and im bored with it,im always in the indoor arena doing flatwork,maybe i should try something different?I found horseriding the most fun when me and this girl who used to be best of friends,adopted a horse each,we went riding together and groomed our horses together,it was so much fun but the stable stopped doing that and thats when i was bullied by the stable owners daughter at the time :( I dont know of anywhere that would let me adopt and take care of a horse...maybe i should look,what do you guys think?

close2prfct 04-16-2009 09:34 AM

I will tell you like I tell my kids no matter how hard things get or how much you want to give up everything you go through teaches you something. Confidence is a big issue if you are at the point you are losing it take a step back to something you are somewhat confident with and start there.
Life in general is tough and there will be many disappointments that come your way, how you handle it depends on the lessons you have learned throughout your life. Talk to your mom and your trainer see what can be worked out to help you build confidence rather than going backwards and losing it.. All the best of luck to you

mls 04-16-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseLover123 (Post 289379)
i only ride once a week for half an hour.

Hmm - I think that is the key to your problem. 30 minutes a week are not enough to build the muscles and cues to work a horse correctly.

IMHO.

HorseLover123 04-16-2009 11:24 AM

mls,i agree with what you are saying,i just dont think i can find a stable which is right for me,or even find one near me for another fact.My dad says im allowed my first horse next year but until then i dont know what to do :?:-( and at the stable im at,you cant get an hour private lesson,only half an hour lessons :-|