The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Holy Cockleburs! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/holy-cockleburs-261361/)

Kamakazi 08-22-2013 10:23 AM

Holy Cockleburs!

1 Attachment(s)
I really don't know if any one else has a big issue with cockleburs, but where I'm from it's ridiculous. Last night I went out to catch Adiel and this is what I found:
Attachment 263401
Adiel has a TON of mane/tail/forelock and it's so hard to keep them from knotting up in the wind or from getting full of burs.
In the past I have braided his forelock (which I did again last night) and using showshine (to make it "slippery" so they'd slide out easier).
Any one have tips on how to keep them at bay? Or do any of you suffer from this problem as well?

redpony 08-22-2013 10:33 AM

Something super tasty must grow right next to cocklebur plants!! We have the same problem and the only way we have cut down on it it's going into the pasture and digging out the plants. Never get them all but it has helped. When I was a kid, we lived next to a creek, through which I ran wild! Waist length blonde hair flowing in the wind AND cocklebur plants :/ So, I've been on both ends of this situation many, many times. LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 08-22-2013 11:20 AM

You can dig them up for the rest of your life or spray them with 2-4-D to kill them.

cowgirljumper 08-22-2013 11:53 AM

We have the same problem at times and I use ShowSheen...love that stuff!
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 08-22-2013 12:22 PM

Thankfully, we don't have any on our property, but they are scattered throughout areas around here.

I'm a cheapo so I just use baby oil and a lot of patience and elbow grease.

toosexy4myspotz 08-24-2013 03:17 PM

I use magic sheen by shapleys on there. Let it dry and they slide right in out. No fussing no pulling nada.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv2ride 08-26-2013 06:13 PM

I have problems with burrs also. I bought a wide tooth comb and some cheap hair conditioner. I rub the conditioner above am
Nd below the burr and use the wide toothe comb to get them out. Takes some time but it works for me. I tried the baby oil but found it really left the mane and tail greasy.

Poseidon 08-26-2013 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The only solution I have actually used to prevent anything was fashioning a sock over my Fjord's forelock because she'd look like a unicorn with how many would be stuck in it. She has a lovely little poof of a forelock and I most definitely did not want to chop it off. The sock worked fairly well as long as I took it off daily and cleaned it off.

It looked like the picture below. I cut the heel portion into two strips, then a hole in the top. I braided her forelock and then weaved the strips through and tied it through the hole so it would stay up. As you can see, she was clearly humiliated with the entire process. I'm not sure how well it work on a normal horse forelock because hers is very thick.

poundinghooves 08-26-2013 09:38 PM

I feel the pain. All three of mine get it on a daily basis pretty much. Sometimes it's realllllly bad but I don't dare take scissors to it. Patience and time gets it out.

natisha 08-27-2013 08:03 AM

I removed them before they got on the horses.
I had a 'burr party', friends & family took them all out. I haven't had any growing in years.
With enough free beer anything is possible.