The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Dressage Potential? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/dressage-potential-2614/)

DeadxEyesxSeexNoxFuture 07-20-2007 07:30 PM

Dressage Potential?

This is a 3 year old TB mare i rescued from the slaughter house.

YES. I know she is terribly skinnny. and before you guys start ragging on me all hardcore KNOW that i DO NOT intend to do ANY type of training or riding untill she is up to or over her normal weight ammount! Ive already wormed her and put her on a diet that will help her gain weight in a HEALTHY way and after I am putting her out to pasture before i start riding her.

ANYWAY
I think this horse has some real potential. I ride dressage and hunt seat and I'd realy like to start training her for it :)

I love her to death! Shes my Dollin Bebop.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...Shelovesme.jpg

What do you think?

KANSAS_TWISTER 07-21-2007 12:15 AM

FIRST OFF!!!!! high five to taking a horse out of a siduation like that, she's got a lot to over come (wieght) but i can her turning out to be a stunning horse, it looks like her neck might be a little short but that's probably because she is leaning in to you for comfort, other then that untill she gains wieght critiquing will be hard for her....

chickadee21 07-21-2007 06:50 AM

She looks so sweet and relieved to be in good hands. What a nice person you are to rescue her. I'm not good at conformation analysis but just wanted to say good luck with her.

joseylovesrain123 07-21-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KANSAS_TWISTER
it looks like her neck might be a little short

joseylovesrain123 07-21-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KANSAS_TWISTER
it looks like her neck might be a little short

do dressage horses need long necks?

kristy 07-22-2007 12:08 AM

No, not all dressage horses need long necks. However, having an extremely short neck can make certain things more difficult when training - notice I said difficult, not impossible.

I still don't consider this horse having a very short neck.

Good for you for rescuing. Anyone that judges this horse based on it's weight while knowing the circumstances is an idiot. Don't worry about what others think at the moment.

Basically, it depends on what level dressage you are wanting to go to. Any horse should be able to accomplish the beginning levels of dressage without a problem as long as they are sound and willing. However, it will depends on the horse's temperament, gaits and athleticism before knowing if the horse can go to higher levels of dressage.

Do you have a picture of the horse's full body including legs?

*ArabianPrincess* 07-22-2007 04:27 AM

I think she looks really cute.

I cannot tell if she would be good as a dressage horse with her weight the way it is and via a picture.
Maybe wait untill she has put more weight on and gt a video of her and maybe wait untill you have her undersaddle and in work and see how she goes.
You never know she might suprise you.

firelight27 07-22-2007 12:42 PM

Firstly, kudos to you for rescuing a horse! Thats awesome. The poor horse looks so badly off as far as weight (as you said at the beginning), but she looks very happy to be with you, rubbing her head on you and all. As far as conformation, its so hard to judge a horse's full potential in a state like that, but I think when she fills out, she looks like a big, tall horse. She looks balanced except for weight, I think she has potential for dressage, and jumping as well maybe. Is she maybe a thouroughbred type, or do you know?

kristy 07-22-2007 06:49 PM

By the way, you look just like someone I know.

And I see that you're wearing a Bury Your Dead shirt - I saw them a few years back.

DeadxEyesxSeexNoxFuture 07-23-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristy
By the way, you look just like someone I know.

Lol. realy? thats cool. my names amy btw. maybe you do know me :)