The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Games ect to do with my 1yo colt (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/games-ect-do-my-1yo-colt-261473/)

ejwhitmore 08-22-2013 01:09 PM

Games ect to do with my 1yo colt

1 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone,

I have a 1y4m old colt called Joey. I brought him 3 months ago he was completely unhandled. He was a state on deaths door. He is now standing when being tied up, happy walking up to the village, being groomed, having rugs put on him (trying on for winter) having his feathers clipped and having his feet done. I feel like he is getting a bit bored. I have a few weeks left of my summer holidays and i want to do something different with him. Play some games just odd things that can help him when he is older. I want him to have fun and be a baby. Can anyone think of anything i can do with him? Thanks for reading and thank you in advance.

Emma

gssw5 08-22-2013 08:11 PM

You could start teaching him to yield to pressure, yield his hind end, yield forequarters, back up, easy lunging walk and trot, put down ground poles, tarps ect. for him to walk over, desensitizing. Any ground exercise you would use to teach a grown horse to get ready to ride you can do with him. Just remember to keep the lessons short, and don't let him get out of air. He is a cutie have fun with him.

Thundersmyboy 08-23-2013 05:57 PM

Desensitizing is always a good thing, no matter how old. It's really good for youngsters because you're showing them a different thing and they don't get bored with it, also when you start training him, it will make him easier to handle when he gets older because he will be used to everything. Also if you have a round pen it's good to lunge them or round pen them, it helps to gain trust and will also help you in the long run. Remember though, you don't want him to work too hard as he is a youngster. I remember when my guy was young, it's so rewarding to watch them grow up and be good horses, it looks like you're doing a great job with him! Keep up the good work! :)