The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Fungus? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/fungus-261497/)

konikirule 08-22-2013 01:35 PM

Fungus?

So my horse has fungus on his back legs. He has to stockings, and does stay out even in the rain. After every ride, I pick of the fungus and wash his legs. It's usually under control, but are there any ways to actually get rid of it totally? Or atleast keep it down more?

gssw5 08-22-2013 06:48 PM

There are a couple products I have used in the past with success. One is called MTG sulfur is the active ingredient but if you have a horse with pink skin it will cause them to burn because of the oil in it. Another product is Nu-stock i also has sulfur in it but is more of a cream then a liquid and less messy then MTG. Or what I do is by cheap diaper cream, powdered sulfur and mix it myself. I would first wash it good with an anti-fungal shampoo dry it good then apply the other product. The MTG, nu-stock and even my homemade stuff will stay on a couple of days as long as you don't wash it off. Hope this helps.

Reilly97 10-23-2013 10:55 AM

Try using baby oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. I have a paint that will get fungus at the drop of a hat and that has been my salvation. Be careful with the tea tree oil because it can be too strong for some horses if used pure so you can dilute it with baby oil.

jaydee 10-23-2013 12:14 PM

The sort of thing you're talking about can be caused by a bacterial infection that 'behaves' like a fungal infection - usually a mix of dermatophilus congelensis and a staph bacteria or a fungal organism so its usually better to treat with something that will affect both unless you've had a skin scrape done
There are plenty of products on the market that will work but the first step is to remove the horse from the place that's causing the problem because as long as he's going out on a muddy area he'll just keep on re-infecting those open sores
This is a very good link to a UK site that will give you a lot of info
Mud fever: Recognise, treat and prevent it | Features | Farmers Guardian