The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Windbreak for new arena (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/windbreak-new-arena-261649/)

PilatesGal 08-22-2013 07:39 PM

Windbreak for new arena

Well, the bulldozer is supposed to be arriving tomorrow to break ground for our outdoor arena. Can't wait to have it, but sad about losing a very photogenic dead tree. Really - I love that tree!

The 100x200 arena will be about 75 feet behind our house, and it can get rather windy here - I'm already able to write my name in the dust mere hours after dusting. I'd rather not put up a wind fence around the arena as it will hinder our lovely view. So I was thinking of planting a hedge of some sort on the north and west sides of the arena to try to minimize the sand migrating to our family room. Cost is definitely an issue as we are already blowing the majority of our discretionary $$ with this project.

For those of you in mountain climes (we are barely a zone 3), have you had any luck with hedges? I was thinking carrighana (sp?) 'cause it grows quickly, or cotoneaster. Are they horse-safe? How about deer and moose-proof? The arena is going in a larger pasture, so the horses will be near it frequently. Any ideas? And any ideas for a temporary windbreak?

stevenson 08-22-2013 09:36 PM

you can google toxic plants for livestock for the area in which you live.
It can be an extensive list. Or find your local County Ag dept , and they should be able to tell you plants toxic to livestock and horses.

Stillstandin 08-23-2013 01:45 PM

Since you are in Alberta here is a link to Alberta Agriculture's Website that has lots of information and resources.
Shelterbelts in Alberta
They tell you how to plant, what types to plant for the best results depending where you are located etc.