The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Thread: What does this piece of tack do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/thread-what-does-piece-tack-do-261937/)

MyFillyAspen 08-23-2013 07:40 AM

Thread: What does this piece of tack do?

I thought I would make a thread for where people can post pictures and ask questions as to what that piece of tack does. I'm sure I am not the only rider who has seen or owns a piece of tack which they do not know the purpose of.

I have a pair of boots (for a horse) which I do not know the use for, and will upload a picture when I get time, but for now I am interested to see what others want to know about certain pieces of tack - hopefully we will get some insight from others on the forum.

So... What do you want to know about certain pieces of tack?? Post away! Can be as simple as "What are bell boots used for" to above and beyond.

Saddlebag 08-23-2013 08:18 AM

People already do that.

MyFillyAspen 08-23-2013 08:22 AM

I thought I'd make a thread for everyone to be able to post in - instead of mutliple threads on the same wave link. Sorry... I thought it would be a good and educational idea.

Shropshirerosie 08-23-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalleysComet (Post 3435761)
I thought I'd make a thread for everyone to be able to post in - instead of mutliple threads on the same wave link. Sorry... I thought it would be a good and educational idea.

It is a good idea - it keeps all the questions, pictures and answers in one place.

Thank you for doing it.

MyFillyAspen 08-24-2013 04:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, Shropshirerosie :-)

I'll go first.

Could this bit, a JP Korsteel Racing Dee Snaffle Bit, be used as a normal snaffle?

What is the difference between this 'Racing' bit and other snaffles?

I'm asking because I would like to buy this bit eventually for using on a bridle I bought this morning - I like the 'Dee' design, compared to your average snaffle.

MyFillyAspen 08-24-2013 04:27 AM

Found this description on another website:

The JP Curved Design
  • Reduces tongue pinching for a more comfortable fit
  • Reduces direct pressure on the tongue
  • Helps to stop the bit from hitting the roof of the mouth
  • Encourages relaxation and salivation
I would assume it would be alright as a substitute for another snaffle, but due to the name 'racing' wanted to know if it would be alright for generally riding.

Sorry if I am a bit uneducated - I've been riding for a year and handling horses for longer, but never been educated much to do with the tack (apart from tacking up, checking the fit and what some tack pieces are used for).

blue eyed pony 08-24-2013 04:36 AM

There are several different ring shapes for Dee-ring snaffles. The racing dee is just one of the shapes, not a descriptor specifying the snaffle's use.

I have one. I like them for young horses. Little classier than a full cheek but still has lateral pressure to assist with turning. I also have one with the Western dee design [though it is an English bit] which I also like.

MyFillyAspen 08-24-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue eyed pony (Post 3445465)
There are several different ring shapes for Dee-ring snaffles. The racing dee is just one of the shapes, not a descriptor specifying the snaffle's use.

I have one. I like them for young horses. Little classier than a full cheek but still has lateral pressure to assist with turning. I also have one with the Western dee design [though it is an English bit] which I also like.

Thanks for explaining that to me Blue Eyed Pony :-). I thought that would be the case - thanks for clarifying my thoughts.

blue eyed pony 08-24-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalleysComet (Post 3445489)
Thanks for explaining that to me Blue Eyed Pony :-). I thought that would be the case - thanks for clarifying my thoughts.

No problem :) My young filly was first bitted with a full cheek, then graduated to a dee ring, then went to an eggbutt, and is now in a small-ring eggbutt bradoon, partly because it's the only bit I have that fits her properly [darn pony-sized mouth!! It's a really small bit, think about 4 1/2 inch, and she loves it] and partly because with her short head her full sized bridle is too big to use a normal-sized cheek ring.

MyFillyAspen 08-25-2013 07:46 PM

Thanks, Blue Eyed Pony. Glad you've found something that works for both you and your filly.

Does anyone else have a question to post about any piece of tack, regarding what it is used for and the like? :smile: