The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   is it typical for a farrier to jack up the price (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/typical-farrier-jack-up-price-261945/)

diat150 08-23-2013 09:25 AM

is it typical for a farrier to jack up the price

if a horse is having some hoof issues? I ended up spending $150 to shoe my gelding who is having some pretty bad issues with his hooves. That seems outrageous to me, especially since he only put shoes on his 2 front hooves. My last farrier wasnt doing a good job and probably played a part in messing up my horses hooves, so I was willing to pay it to get someone with a different perspective to start taking care of it. I just wanted to see if it was typical for farriers to jack up the price over the normal rate if a horse is having some issues.

DancingArabian 08-23-2013 09:52 AM

If a farrier has to spend extra time or work because there's a problem then yes the price may change with some farriers. The only exception I think would be if they were fixing their mistake. Remember if that farrier is taking three hours instead of one with your horse that's two hours of working elsewhere that's lost. If they're not working, they're not getting paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

diat150 08-23-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 3435841)
If a farrier has to spend extra time or work because there's a problem then yes the price may change with some farriers. The only exception I think would be if they were fixing their mistake. Remember if that farrier is taking three hours instead of one with your horse that's two hours of working elsewhere that's lost. If they're not working, they're not getting paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes I can understand that. But this was $230 total bill for about 1.5 hours of work. 2 trims on my other 2 and then this shoe job on just 2 front feet. He may have spent an extra 20 minutes. I probably should have raised the issue more with him, but I was grateful that he seemed to be more active in trying to solve the problem.

Drifting 08-23-2013 10:05 AM

That's high in my area, I'm not sure where you are. Farriers around here charge between 70-80 dollars for front shoes. Were the shoes custom at all? Aluminum? It could just be that he's in high demand/has a great reputation and can charge it.

DancingArabian 08-23-2013 10:42 AM

How much of a difference is that over his regular price?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 08-23-2013 11:25 AM

What is his usual price for a trim? My old farrier was 25 for a trim and 65 for front shoes and trim on the backs on the gelding I sold recently. Farriers vary though the other farrier I know charged 40 for a trim and 80 for front shoes.

Zexious 08-23-2013 11:33 AM

When I had a baby, who wasn't always A+ at standing for the farrier, he didn't raise the price to trim her feet.

I get a full set of shoes. Here in CO it is $200, in TX (where he is now boarded) it's $100.

I think, in order to know the answer to this question, we need to know more about the pricing in your area, and a bit more about your farrier.

Joe4d 08-23-2013 11:52 AM

and a bit more about what was done.
Did he give you an idea of price before he started ?

Speed Racer 08-23-2013 11:56 AM

The price also varies by the type of shoes. If your farrier is having to use special shoes because your horse's feet are so messed up, they're likely more expensive than regular shoes so he has to pass that cost onto the customer.

DuckDodgers 08-23-2013 01:14 PM

If some sort of corrective shoes were used, absolutely. It costs the farrier more to buy the shoes, so that's passed down to you. If it took longer than it otherwise would have to do the work, then yes. If the same shoes were put on, the horse did not have any behavioral issues, and the time spent was essentially the same, then no. How much more did he charge you than normal?