The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

annoying person/my rental barn

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  demonwolfmoon 
#1 ·
Well. I rented a barn to avoid all complications with boarding stable and their BO. I know one lady from previous boarding stables. We have boarded at 3 same stables before I rented my own farm.

She just lost her job. She begged me to let her board her horse at my barn for free. She will supply hay and grain, and I do all feeding and care. I told her it is impossible! I have to pay $100 per horse that will live in the farm. It is contract I made with the farm owner. I told her if you want to board at my farm, you will have to pay $100 to the farm owner plus $75 for my care. I will supply hay. She only have to provide grain. She thinks I am a rip-off. She cursed and cursed at me for refusing help her. I wish I could, but I am not rich that I can afford pay $100 for her horse.

How can I handle this situation to make her quiet down? She is still complaining to me. Her previous barn was a self-care she paid $200 for stall plus she have to feed her own horses along with supplying grain and hay. I was kind enough to offer her $175 for the stall plus my care along with hay. She still complains!

Oh also, she cannot find any boarding stables that will fit her budget around here. She is trying to take advantage of my kindness. I cannot get any kinder when it comes to money situation since I have to take care of my own 3 horses. My colt have cryptorchid, so I am saving money for the surgery which costs $900. Why can't she be understanding?!

See less See more
#12 ·
This woman is trying to bully you into doing this for her. She isn't going to go away if you continue to listen to her and be nice. You see her outside immediately call the cops tell them you have someone trespassing. I wouldnt even go outside to entertain her. Just let the cops show up and when they do, then go outside. DONE!

#14 ·
Post some no trespassing signs on the property. If you have her address, send her a certified letter telling her she is not welcome on that property and warning her you will report her for trespassing.

Talk to the local police and let them know the situation. Give them a description of her and her vehicle. That way when you do call, they have a point of reference.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
As I getting older and older, i meet many crazy people. This situation is my first time since I am still a young adult. I never experienced anything that forces me to call police and go though civil court.

#19 ·
I would ask the person you are renting from if you can padlock the gates (and give the owner a copy of the key) as well as ask them to tell the person they are not on your contract so they aren't comfortable with her being on the premises

this way it's a bit more of an "official" get the heck out of here without ruffling too many feathers

however if I were going to ruffle feathers, I would keep upping the costs you quote her.

#20 · (Edited)
I agree with the others. I would tell her that you are contractually obligated to pay $100 per horse on the property and that you do not pay for horses that you do not own. If she wants to board the horse there, she will need to contact the property owner, get her own contract for her horse, and provide for its care herself. I would also tell her that you do not appreciate being pressured to commit an illegal activity by breaking your contract with the property owner, you do not run a charity house, and if she continues to harass you, that you will be forced to seek legal action (filing a harassment claim and a restraining order) with the police department. Be very firm with her when you tell her. You can not let anyone bully you or pressure you into doing anything you are not comfortable doing.

Edit: Also, if and, most likely, when she continues to harass you, follow through with your threat to file a harassment complaint and a restraining order. Do not hesitate to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.