The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   how to teach your horse to ride bridless (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/how-teach-your-horse-ride-bridless-26209/)

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 09:37 AM

how to teach your horse to ride bridless

i can easily ride my horse bare back with a halter (leadrope ties on both sides of halter like reins) but how do you teach your horse to ride without a saddle and a bridle??? wouldnt you have to have a whole lot of leg? please give me a TON of tips and techniques...IT SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN!!!:D

draftlover215 04-17-2009 09:40 AM

I would love to know this as well!

I believe it's all leg and seat aids. I know that I can drop the reins and stop and turn my baby at a walk but anything faster than a walk and he still needs a little bit of rein as a cue also. He's only 3 though so I'm pretty pleased with that! LOL

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 01:59 PM

come on guys! i no u can help me:D

paintsrock14 04-17-2009 04:42 PM

i have seen this in free style reigning. you have to work with you seat and leg aids for like one year, or until you don't have to have use your hands to turn stop or anything, all you have to use is you seat and leg aids. then you start doing it with the just a halter until you get confortable with that then do it bridleless in a roundpen, once you get confortable with that then take of the saddle in the roundpen. then one day when there is nobody in the ring then try it in there.
hope this works.

CloudsMystique 04-17-2009 04:48 PM

You just have to teach your horse to turn using your leg, and stop using your seat while wearing a bridle. Then do it while wearing a halter, and then try it bridleless.

You can also try using a string around your horse's neck, if they know how to neck rein.

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 05:22 PM

thanks guys but i will always take more advice so keep it coming! by the way cloudymystique your horse is BEAUTIFUL!!!!:D

SallyBaby 04-20-2009 10:14 PM

This is the question I would have asked. Good advice!

wild_spot 04-21-2009 12:20 AM

I've just started doing bareback/bridleless work with my boy Bundy. Hoping to get some pictures soon :]

First, I experimented with stopping. To me, stopping is the MOST important control to have in place before you go bridleless. I started offf using my breastplate instead of reins. I would be walking/trotting/cantering around and use my seat and a small tug on the breastplate to stop. Reins were there to back up if needed. I was lucky, my horse took to it like a fish to water! I think he stops better without the bridle, lol.

He already neck reined, so my basics, stopping and steering, were in place.

My first try, I first did a lot fo groundwork with him. Backing, forward, turns on uhaunches, etc without a halter. Then i jumped on. I find it easier bareback as well, as seat cues are a lot clearer. I use a bit of rope around his neck for now. I neck rein using the rope and use my seat to stop.

I've now progressed to where I can do abrupt canter/halt transitions, lope both leads, back up, haunch turn/rollback, and slow spins. I can also ride him out in the open.

It's all about experimenting and having fun!

mls 04-21-2009 01:51 PM

Check out Stacey Westfall's stuff.

She is the clinician that made her tackless reining ride such a hit.

NewHeart 04-21-2009 02:01 PM

You can easily find a video of her on youtube, she really is amazing.