The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   galloping (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/galloping-26216/)

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 11:24 AM

galloping

hey! i have never ever ever galloped on my horse before...actually come to think of it i have never galloped before unless on accident which was only one time when i was five!!! i was just curious to know how to get a pretty lazy horse to gallop and where the best place to do it is!!! plz reply...IM REALLY CURIOUS!!!:D

Qtswede 04-17-2009 12:06 PM

start in the round pen. just get in a comfortable trot, and ask for a little more - squeeze or kick him gently & lean forward a little. oh, and RELAX.

smrobs 04-17-2009 01:52 PM

I am assuming that by gallop you mean run, right? Give them the same cues that you use to speed them up in any other gait and if they don't, I give mine a light pop on the butt with a bridle rein. Although, if your horse has never had that done, it can cause them to jump or spook. Always make sure that you have a big flat area free of debris like rocks, logs, and holes before you try to run and I never run any of mine toward the barn. I always make sure that I am facing away from the barn. Also, one thing you might consider. If your horse has never been asked to run under saddle, he/she may take a while to figure out what you are asking so don't get too impatient.

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 02:01 PM

thanks! i cant wait to try this!

travlingypsy 04-17-2009 02:08 PM

Do you mean a canter or a gallop? Cause i wouldnt gallop my tb mare in any inclosed area, like a round pen or arena. I usually take her to open fields. But when just starting out and galloping for the first time its easy to go up big hills, cause you can just get right into jumping position and hang on and let your horse do all the work, while you steer.
Also i would be carefull when galloping a horse for the first time, make sure you do lots of transitions from the walk to trot, trot to walk, trot to canter..ect. Because you dont want your horse to get the idea that thats all your going to do in an open fields is go! Cause your horse might take off the next time you get into an open area.

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 03:44 PM

i mean gallop as in run, not canter...yalls advice makes a lot of sense!!!:D

travlingypsy 04-17-2009 07:55 PM

Hope it all goes well and you both have a lot of fun.

Vidaloco 04-17-2009 08:32 PM

If you have any worked or loose dirt fields around you, they are a great place to open er' up :lol: I rarely gallop although I love to do it. When I do, I make sure I have a soft landing spot if need be. In the spring and fall there is always a newly worked farm field somewhere.
I also will get up some speed on our trails. I know the footing and don't worry about Vida mis stepping or stepping in a hole.
Note: the only time I have been injured was galloping on hard ground, so I'm a bit skittish :shock:

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 08:37 PM

thanks for the advice everyone!

MyBoyPuck 04-19-2009 10:45 PM

Just please make sure you try it in a place that safe in terms of holes in the ground or muddy spots. I nice dry dirt road is probably the safest place. I would also recommend easing into it to make sure you have brakes before you let your horse gallop. A brisk canter is probably best for starting.