The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   bran mash (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bran-mash-26246/)

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 07:13 PM

bran mash

my horse is getting his teeth done in a couple days, and since his mouth will b sore i am making him bran mash and givin it to him instead of riding! do u guys have any good recipes? if so please share them!

Ryle 04-17-2009 07:23 PM

Rather than a bran mash, which isn't balanced for a horse and which would constitute a change in diet and could lead to colic, I would just add warm water to his regular feed if it is pelleted.

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 07:40 PM

well i usually give it to him after his supper, and its usually just a little bit...is that ok? i use it like a treat and its pretty rare that i give it to him, but let me no if i shouldnt...keep the advice comin!:D

Peggysue 04-17-2009 07:58 PM

I agree with Ryle I would not change his diet ... just put hot/warm water in his feed and let it soak...

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 08:24 PM

ok im glad that i heard this ahead of time...now what if along with the feed, could i sprinkle a little brown sugar in with it to sweeten it a little? and im gunna look in to this u guys brought up a good point

thanks!!!

Peggysue 04-17-2009 08:30 PM

why put sugar on it?? sugars are not good for your horse

Walkamile 04-17-2009 08:38 PM

I agree with Ryle and PeggySue. I soak my horses feed with warm water in the winter (want to get as much water into them as possible) and they love it that way. If you want to make it special, add a chopped up apple.

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 08:40 PM

ok right youve got a point... if anyone has a different kind of treat that a horse with a sore mouth would enjoy and it is healthy for the horse please share!

Walkamile 04-17-2009 08:50 PM

I'm curious when you say he's getting his teeth done, do you mean floated (filed)? If so Walka has had to have extensive power floating due to his "specialness" and his mouth/teeth weren't sore. No problems eating once the tranq. wore off fully.

dreamrideredc 04-17-2009 09:09 PM

his teeth are being floated, and it probably wont hurt him that bad maybe not at all but id still like to give him a warm soft treat when he gets it done. this will only be his second or third time (he is fairly young and he didnt have his teeth done with his first owner) and the first time it hurt him so bad he was drooling like crazy and he didnt want to eat (he doesnt get that bad any more poor thing) umm... if anyone was wondering i looked into bran mash and eqqus (the magazine) said exactly what u said, its not good to feed a horse a lot of bran mash, but it said that on occasions its fine. i may and may not give it to him, im looking at both sides b/c i find this interesting, i never thought of it this way! like i said, thanks for bringing this up!:D