The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bad manners? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bad-manners-26252/)

EquineLoverForever 04-17-2009 10:43 PM

Bad manners?

So my horse came from a barn where they got tacked up in wash stalls with drains, so he was allowed to pee. When I got him I was always having to clean it up because he frequently peed in the isleway. Until one day a lady was tacking up her horse near me, saw what he was doing, and came over and started smacking him under his belly. He stopped peeing in the isle for a while, but started back up again. But this time I do not mind it much because it is normally just after I finish brushing him (its always after I ride) so I see him getting into his 'stance' and hurry up and put him away. He also includes a poop in his routine: as soon as I get him to the isle after riding, he poops, too. I thought this was normal because the lesson horses I always rode pooped, but now that I think about it, all the boarded horses dont poop. Some people tell me he's being rude and they ask me why I let him do that. What am I supposed to do?

Walkamile 04-17-2009 11:24 PM

Hmmm...anxious to read some responses to this one. :lol:

Personally, I would be very upset with anyone that simply takes it upon themselves to "discipline" my horse. That's rude IMO. I thought when a horse pees it could be out of anxiousness or is relaxed , same as for pooping. That's what T does in the trailer, just "releasing" a bit of anxiety. :lol: Or, is she "expressing" her opinion about trailering? Hmmmm...interesting.:?

luvsmygirls 04-18-2009 03:04 AM

i have always been told that going to the bathroom is a a sign of relaxation or releasing tension. my mare ALWAYS goes to the bathroom after we are done riding even its just down the road and back. i think it maybe habit more than anything. If it really bothers you you could always untack him in his stall. IMO i don't really think that it is fair to go after horses for going to the bathroom but that is just me. i tend to be a little more lax than some people. it really just depends on what you find acceptable behavior, not what people at your barn think.

trashcore 04-18-2009 03:20 AM

Wow. I would never let anyone discipline my horse. :| If they tried I'd jump down there throat.
I don't see why a horse can't go to the toilet if they want to. It's not being rude, it's like when we need to go! It's a release. They do it more when they're stressed or relaxed (My gelding always poops when I take his saddle off). I would be very angered to see someone smacking a horse for urinating.

That's all. :)

Gluey33 04-18-2009 03:33 AM

If you know its likely to happen keep a bucket handy. Its not a bad thing, in fact your better off encouraging it. Showies and race trainers encourage it and whistle while its happening in case they ever need a drug test. Its also very handy for the vet if you have health problems. Also less mess to clean out of a box. :-)
If someone goes to discipline your horse again politely ask them to not do that. :-(

Ahsisi 04-18-2009 09:15 AM

I think what you are doing is fine. I would do the same thing. Since you know it is coming just keep an eye out and when you see him get into the stance I would just get him in his stall and let him so his business. Better that he goes than doesn't go! I don't think it is rude or misbehaving at all.

Alicia 04-18-2009 11:36 AM

I don't believe it is a rude behavior. The rude behavior is the person takeing it upon themselves to physically disipline your horse. If they are asking you 'why do you let him do that?' ask them 'why not?'.If you clean up any mess he makes why should anyone care.

sandy2u1 04-18-2009 12:01 PM

ROFL...I cant believe that the people in your barn say your horse is being rude for peeing! IMO those people are nuts! I feel very sorry for any of those poor horses that are disciplined for peeing in the wrong spot. I mean come on!!!! I tell you what I would do if I were you....I would focus on my horse and the task at hand....and if the horse takes a pee while being unsaddled, I would reach up and pet him and thank him for the ride....and if anybody has anything negative to say I would tell them where they can go!!!!

Spirithorse 04-18-2009 02:34 PM

That is not bad behavior! My goodness, getting after a horse for peeing?? What a looney tune! lol. Sorry but that's just rude and absurd.

I like the idea of keeping a bucket handy. It's a good thing he feels comfortable enough to pee around you (as funny as that sounds lol). Don't worry about it, what you're doing is fine :)

Qtswede 04-18-2009 03:55 PM

The bad behavior was only on the part of the person that 'disciplined' your horse. I wonder how she'd like it if someone came & smacked her horse? Some people are just control freaks ... horses are animals, after all. Let him do his thing.