The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Do you tie horses Solid or to something breakable (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/do-you-tie-horses-solid-something-262625/)

PunksTank 08-24-2013 10:47 AM

Do you tie horses Solid or to something breakable

This is a take-off on Cherie's thread http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...olidly-261985/
In that thread the options were
"Yes. I think every horse should be trained to tie solidly as a part of becomming a 'trained horse'."
"No. I do not think it is necessary for a horse to be trained to tie solidly."
"Somethimes. I would like horses to tie solidly, but if a horse is going to fight it, I don't make a big deal out of it."

But I don't think there are many people in the world who would say they don't care whether their horse will stand when tied or not. I think most everyone wants a horse that will stand politely and not pull back/break away. So I don't think many people would ever consider not having their horse trained to tie.
The question though is "Solidly", do you want a horse to tie to a solid object or to something that can break away or "ground tie".

I'm curious to know people's reasons why they choose each and I'm also curious on how they reached that goal. So post up your opinions and experiences, but the same rules apply as with Cherie's thread:
"Please, PLEASE respect others that disagree with your point of view on this. They are NOT 'stupid' or 'incompetent' because they have a different opinion. I just want to hear YOUR opinion and why."

EvilHorseOfDoom 08-24-2013 11:02 AM

If I don't know the horse well or it isn't in my "training", always to something breakable. If it is mine or I've worked with it on the ground a lot and have actually had input in its training I expect it to groundtie. However I also expect it to tie (to something breakable) quietly and politely.

I guess my issue with solid tying is that, while I really do understand the arguments for it, it seems that the horse would have to be 100% reactionless to do it with complete safety. Perhaps a small horse or a daintier pony, would be easier as they have less bodyweight to throw around and hurt themselves with, but a big 16hh 600kg horse like mine, or like many TBs and WBs I've worked with, it only takes a small (for their size) jump in fright at something unexpected for them to hurt themselves or pull the "solid" object over on themselves.

Why I like ground-tying, however, is that I find horses are actually LESS likely to run off or even get scared if they know they have the option to run. They don't run, because they can. Whereas when they feel trapped (like being tied) that's when they have a bigger fear reaction. That's one reason why I think it's better to trailer untied if possible.

GamingGrrl 08-24-2013 11:03 AM

I tie to solid objects with a quick release knot.
Posted via Mobile Device

barrelbeginner 08-24-2013 11:06 AM

I second that^^

walkinthewalk 08-24-2013 11:10 AM

My philosophy doesn't fit anything in the poll, so I didn't vote.

All horses should know how to stand solidly tied. If they don't, then how are we going to keep them at the trailer for hours on end, at a horse show or a trail ride?

I don't believe in cross ties but all my horses were taught to stand in them long enough to get a good brushing, which does not include the vacuum cleaner.

My horses are home so, my barn my rules and that means I don't tie anyone for anything. That includes tacking them up, for which I take them outside and drop the rope.

They either stand with the rope thrown over the fence, hanging on the ground, or no rope at all, just a verbal of "stay and wait", depending on the horse.

Or, if I am clipping someone or filing hooves, I don't even halter them. I just send them into the aisle way and they stand quietly.

They have also all been with me for many years, so they know what's expected of them and how far they can push the button before they get some sort of discipline. Discipline ranging from a mild verbal correction to getting whapped - again it depends which horse:-)

smrobs 08-24-2013 11:11 AM

I voted that horses should be tied solidly, but I also wanted to clarify that the individual situation may call for something different.

First and foremost, before a horse is tied solidly, they need to be taught how to tie properly. They should give to pressure on the halter in every direction before you even think of tying them to anything. After that, you should be able to tie them to just about anything without having to worry about them having a freak-out moment where they set back against the halter.

I have one of the support beams of my barn (it's a 6x6 buried in concrete at the bottom and bolted to the rafters at the top) that I use to tie solidly. I've got part of an old lariat looped around it twice that I tie to. That will hold up to any size horse, no matter how determined. How do I know? I've had them try to break free.
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/Photo025.jpg

Once you know your horse will tie solidly, you don't have to worry about them breaking free, no matter where you are. I like having the knowledge that I can leave any of my horses tied to the side of the trailer at a rodeo while I go get something to eat and they'll still be standing there when I get back. I like having the knowledge that I can tie my horse to the corral at the loading pens while I leave for 2-3 hours and go haul cattle to a pasture.

My only exemption to tying solid is when you're talking bridle reins. I don't carry a halter with me and I don't leave a halter on my horses when I'm riding. So, if I have an instance where I need to tie my horse and leave him, I have to do it with the bridle reins. I will not tie solidly then. I'll take a loop around the fence where I'm leaving them. That will give them enough resistance for a good horse to stay where he's at, but if something bad happens, he can apply a little pressure and get away without injuring his mouth or breaking my tack.

BUT, once a horse learns to tie solidly, he should stand like this, completely relaxed, no matter if you leave him for 5 minutes or 5 hours
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...e/DSCN1599.jpg

PaintHorseMares 08-24-2013 11:20 AM

This is really multiple questions, Imho. A horse must be able to be solid tied if needed. When I ride to the grocery store, I solid tie while I go in because I think that is best in that situation. Around the barn, if I'm using a lead, I just throw the lead over a fence or pass it through a tie ring (untied). Otherwise, for grooming or trimming, I don't even use a halter or lead because they just stand for those activities.
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 08-24-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 3446553)
...But I don't think there are many people in the world who would say they don't care whether their horse will stand when tied or not. I think most everyone wants a horse that will stand politely and not pull back/break away. So I don't think many people would ever consider not having their horse trained to tie...

I don't. Trooper & Cowboy arrived knowing how to be tied. Mia has never been taught. I don't have anything solid enough to hold that is over 3.5 feet, which I've read is too short for training a horse. So I lead her out, put part of the lead rope in my pocket so it won't drag, then groom & tack her. For untacking, I drape the lead rope over her neck and untack.

I think she SHOULD be trained to stand still when tied solid. But I'd need to build something to teach her that, and after 5+ years of owning her and never tying her...:? I also can't remember the last time we tied Trooper, so I've no idea if he still knows how. Seems like it would be a good thing to teach them, tho.

Clava 08-24-2013 11:36 AM

No-one I know in the UK ever ties their horses up solidly.

PunksTank 08-24-2013 11:39 AM

I forgot to mention - this is multiple choice. You can pick multiple. I personally believe there's never one solid answer for every horse in every situation and would never be able to answer any question like that with only one blanket statement. I guessmy question was targetted to which would be your ideal situation.

My opinion is every horse should know how to tie, when tied to an object or ground tied. The should know how to stand still for as long as I tell them. They should be patient and not have any issues like pawing or fussing. BUT I would never tie any horse to anything that wasn't able to be broken or quickly unlatched.
I realize I forgot one big option too. Breakable under the human's control (not the horse's), like a quick release knot or buckle that a human pulls to let them loose.
Sorry.