The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   arthritis, injections - how much? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/arthritis-injections-how-much-2627/)

lindiak007 07-21-2007 05:17 PM

arthritis, injections - how much?

Well, I am not a horse owner, but I was told that my horse I ride at the riding school, has arthritis and i can not ride her. She should have injections.
Do you know how much does it cost approximetely?
Just thinking of supporting the horse and buying the injections.
Thank you

Ryle 07-21-2007 11:53 PM

Well, it depends on what type of injections they are talking about.

There is a product called Adequan IM that is often recommended for arthritic horses, either alone or as an adjunct to joint injections.
It helps stop inflammation and degenerative changes in the joint as well as supporting the production of joint fluid to help lubricate the joints. You give 1 injection a week for 4 weeks and then go to (usually) a once a month schedule. Cost per vial is around $48 and per 4 pack box is about $180. This product can be given by the horse owner as it only requires intramuscular injections.

Joint injections are a whole different ball of wax. These are done by a veterinarian with adequate sedation of the horse and careful aseptic preperation of the injection sites to limit the risks of infection to the joint. Joint injections provide the same sort of aid that Adequan IM does, but are much more effective at stopping the inflammation and lubrication of the joint because you get the medications right to the area affected. Joint injections may provide relief for several months after injecting. Average cost is around $90-$100 per joint injected plus sedation.

lindiak007 07-22-2007 12:47 AM

thank you for the answer. that helps. I will ask which injection she is going to have. But good news...as for the costs....I think I can support her then.