The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   What is the purpose of a hollow mouth snaffle bit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/what-purpose-hollow-mouth-snaffle-bit-26278/)

HorseLover1208 04-18-2009 01:14 PM

What is the purpose of a hollow mouth snaffle bit?

This is the type of but I'm talking about:

Metalab ss Eggbutt Hollow Jointed Mouth Bit

What type of horse would this bit benefit? How would you introduce a horse to this bit? What are the pro's and con's of this bit? I have been a western rider for the past 15 years of my life but have fallen in love with dressage! I bought a used dressage bridal for my dressage trained Friesian and this bit came with it. I don't plan on using it but am really curious about the how and whys of this bit. Thanks

smrobs 04-18-2009 03:58 PM

As I am a western rider too, I honestly don't know. I would venture a guess though that it is just like a regular eggbutt snaffle and maybe it is hollow so that it is a lighter weight. IDK.

HorseLover1208 04-18-2009 04:20 PM

Well, the thing is on this one the bars are about 1 inch thick at the corners of the mouth and go down to about 1/2 inch in the middle... kind of threw me off .

SouthernTrails 04-18-2009 09:49 PM

My understanding on Hollow bits like that is they are larger in diameter, therefor more gentle for the mouth, plus lighter.

If you Horse becomes use to the hollow bit and need more control, then the next step would be the smaller diameter solid bit which is heavier and harsher due to its smaller diameter.

Jessabel 04-18-2009 10:49 PM

Hollow mouths have thicker mouthpieces, so they're more gentle than a regular jointed snaffle. I used to use one on Victor, but he didn't respect it at all. Those are for really well behaved, soft-mouthed horses.

NorthernMama 04-20-2009 09:52 PM

I use a hollow-snaffle on my 14.5h OTSB. She works well with it. She was trained on a straight bit, I tried that, then the hollow, then a french link... went back to the hollow and have been using that for over a year now.

She's certainly not a highly trained horse, but this bit is all she needs. Sometimes she chooses not to listen to it, but that doesn't mean she needs a harsher bit -- just more training (not enough hours in the day - sigh).

EternalSun 04-21-2009 09:45 PM

Hollow bit's are like pacifiers for larger mouthed horses - they're more comfortable and milder than a thinner bit because they distribute pressure more evenly. They're hollow so you can get the width without the weight. They're used commonly on racehorses and finished dressage horses.

JustDressageIt 04-22-2009 01:39 AM

When you want a thicker mouthpiece without adding a lot of weight to the bit.

NorthernMama 04-22-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalSun (Post 293189)
Hollow bit's are like pacifiers for larger mouthed horses -

I don't know about the large mouth part -- my girl is just average size.

Qtswede 04-22-2009 11:08 PM

I use hollow mouthed bits as a first bit when I start a horse. They are incredibly gentle. They're hollow for weight reasons - think of how much a bit like that would weigh if it were solid.