The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What gait is this gelding performing? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-gait-gelding-performing-262825/)

horsegirl780 08-24-2013 06:30 PM

What gait is this gelding performing?

Hey guys - I'm looking at potential geldings to purchase to trail ride... but I want a true walker, not something that gaits incorrectly (in case I decide to show locally).

I think this gelding is doing a stepping pace... is that correct?

I like him for so many other reasons, so I guess I'm just hoping I'll be wrong...

Thanks!

trailhorserider 08-24-2013 07:26 PM

That would be my guess as well.....notice there is no head-bob and he is clearly pacey.

BUT, I am new to gaited horses, so let's see what the experts think. :-)

tinyliny 08-24-2013 08:26 PM

if you listen to the rythm, it is a two beat count, just like a trot, but since the pairs are moving in lateral pairs, I think it IS a pace. there looks to be a bit of a moment of suspension, like a trot.

bbsmfg3 08-25-2013 10:34 AM

Pacing all the way. You can tell it's a pace even before you see the foot fall. Notice how the horse and rider are swinging side to side and the riders shoulders are up and down.

I'd avoid this one completely.

SueNH 08-25-2013 10:37 AM

Another pace vote. Mine is pacey. I can get her doing the running walk but it takes some doing. I don't care, I love my horse. Just wish I had more riding time. It will work itself out eventually.

Gaited07 08-25-2013 07:53 PM

Pace. Listen to the sound of 1-2 and watch the sway of the horse right to left.

texdinan 08-25-2013 08:51 PM

Looks like a Tennessee Walker to me, but I have not seen that many. Thoughts?

kstinson 09-11-2013 07:29 PM

Definitely pacing. IMO this horse could gait nicely with a lot of work and consistency as when you go through and pause to see his break etc there is some potential -but if you're looking for an easily naturally gaited twh that won't be a lot of work to simply ride -definitely buy one that is walking when you buy it. This would be a big project.

Did you have any luck?
Posted via Mobile Device