The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Old barn, practically falling apart (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/old-barn-practically-falling-apart-26287/)

Aliboo 04-18-2009 03:28 PM

Old barn, practically falling apart

I find it really sad that a good, horse loving friend of mine is keeping her horse in pretty sorry conditions. The barn she was forced to move to isn't adequate for her 30 horses, and it needs a lot of work. I'm going to be doing as much work for her as possible, and I know she means well but with the economy I think her money and her horses are struggling. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help? I was thinking we could try fundraising, cleaning up the dump the land is, redoing the fences, re organizing. It's an endless to do list.

But I just can't see myself staying at my new barn and doing nothing for her, because her horses are suffering on that spit of land. I wish I could do more, but I don't have the money. I'd take a horse off her hands if I could. I don't want to see her getting charged for animal neglect or something, and I grew up with a lot of these horses. They deserve something better, so does anyone have any advice?

LeahKathleen 04-18-2009 03:32 PM

I'd start with rounding up a group of people (man friends, you've got them) and spending a whole weekend making basic repairs to fencing, stalls, and things, and removing anything dangerous.

Give everything a good cleaning where it needs it.

Sometimes little things like new stall fixtures, some repaired boards, and and a good cleaning can help out a lot.

I'd try lumber yards for cheap repair wood, and just round up people and fix whatever you can.

:\ Sorry to hear about this - great that you want to help your friend. Good luck!