The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Moving to OK (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/moving-ok-26307/)

Whipple 04-18-2009 08:36 PM

Moving to OK

well very probably I am. In September! I'm going to be moving in with a friend and her family. I'll probably stay there for a year or so.
Does anyone know about working and taxes and what not since I'd only be visiting? Is there a limit or anything like that. I guess if there's anything you can tell me I'd love to know.

Joshie 04-19-2009 10:30 PM

You probably wouldn't be able to work. You'd need a permit to be able to do that. But I'd guess that you'd not be able to legally work unless you can do something a citizen cannot or will not.

Whipple 04-20-2009 09:28 PM

Well I was thinking of either getting a job offer from a friend, or just visiting. I'm still working out details, so I'll probably just visit.
At least I can skip winter.

upnover 04-23-2009 09:43 AM

I have no idea how the whole hiring from another country thing works but surely with the right documentation you could get a job? Just not sure what it is you need... :)

what part of OK will you be visiting?

Miss Katie 04-23-2009 09:56 AM

To get a working permit you need a job offer from a company in the US, in writing. However before they can offer you the job, they must first advertise it openly and look for a US citizin capable of the job ( they have to advertise for a certain number of days, and all US applicants get priority over you, even if you are capable of doing the job better, apparently). Once you get the job offer, you must apply for a working Visa at a US embassy IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY. Once you enter the US you can not apply for the working visa.

Visit Visa Home and read EVERYTHING. It might be much easier for you, being Canadian, but trust me it is a complicated process.
Even just visiting for a year will require a tourist visa. And they will want proof that you can support yourself financially while you are there.

Whipple 04-23-2009 09:08 PM

I've determined I'm just going to visit. Too much hassle. So I'll live here but I'll still try to skip winter by visiting OK.
Thanks for all the help.

close2prfct 04-23-2009 10:11 PM

Just so you know winters may not be as severe as they are in Canada but we do get a fair amount of ice

Whipple 04-23-2009 10:12 PM

Ill put up with ice, I put up with it here. But as long as it doesnt get to -40, I'm happy.

upnover 04-24-2009 09:47 AM

no, you won't see -40 here! but last year we had a major ice storm that destroyed trees, powerlines, etc etc and we didn't have power for a week! it was a cold and miserable week!

close2prfct 04-24-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upnover (Post 294967)
no, you won't see -40 here! but last year we had a major ice storm that destroyed trees, powerlines, etc etc and we didn't have power for a week! it was a cold and miserable week!

got you to huh? we were without power for 8 days thank goodness we had gas furnaces installed or we'd have froze