The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   nutrina and purina feed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/nutrina-purina-feed-2632/)

RebelsRose 07-21-2007 08:04 PM

nutrina and purina feed

My local feed store only sells Nutrina and purina feeds, and the yearling I just bought has been on a mixture of Gold Chance 12% pellets and blue Ribbon 12% sweetfeed and this is seminole feeds. I need some help finding the best feed to switch her to, that is ither Nutrina or Purina. She is going to be 14 months old soon and I lounge her 15 mins, 2 times a day. She goes on walks everyday around the neighborhood with me, and she also runs around and plays in the pastures, so she is going to be "working" every day but sundays and tuesdays. Thank you for your time.

Ryle 07-22-2007 12:13 AM

You've got several options available then and both feed brands are good.

Purina strategy, Equine Junior or Omelene 200 are all recommended for horses between 1-2 years of age. I personally prefer either the Strategy or the Equine Junior over a sweet feed both because they don't have as much sugar and they have a higher fiber content which decreased the risk of gastric ulcer formation.

Nutrena offers 3 "Life Design" formulas that would be appropriate--Youth, Compete and Prime, as well as Equine Kwik and Safe Choice.

Any of those products would be appropriate. It's just a matter of what you can readily get through your feed store and what "type" of feed you want.

RebelsRose 07-22-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryle
You've got several options available then and both feed brands are good.

Purina strategy, Equine Junior or Omelene 200 are all recommended for horses between 1-2 years of age. I personally prefer either the Strategy or the Equine Junior over a sweet feed both because they don't have as much sugar and they have a higher fiber content which decreased the risk of gastric ulcer formation.

Nutrena offers 3 "Life Design" formulas that would be appropriate--Youth, Compete and Prime, as well as Equine Kwik and Safe Choice.

Any of those products would be appropriate. It's just a matter of what you can readily get through your feed store and what "type" of feed you want.

I have also heard that Purina Strategy is a good choice of feed, I may very well go with that. Thank you. I am about to go to the purina website and find everything out that I can about the Purina stategy and make up my mind for sure.