The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   I really wish I felt okay about killing things just cause they are there (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/i-really-wish-i-felt-okay-263393/)

acorn 08-25-2013 02:29 PM

I really wish I felt okay about killing things just cause they are there

But I don't. So I can't.

Blinking squirrels...we have sooo many of them and they are such greedy boogers.

So far this year we have had mulberries....all gotten by squirrels none for us.
We have had pears. Again none for us all for squirrel people.
We have had peaches. Not a one for us.
Apples. Squirrels kindly left us two apples. One for each of us.:cry:
Now they are gobbling all the figs as soon as they ripen.

We are surrounded by timber land. Why can't those stink pots go live there?

I just needed to vent.:lol:

SouthernTrails 08-25-2013 02:50 PM

Do you hunt?

Squirrel is pretty good, tastes like chicken :-)

Corporal 08-25-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 3456385)

Do you hunt?

Squirrel is pretty good, tastes like chicken :-)

Nope. Tastes like "store bought" chicken. NOTHING tastes as good as the birds I own/butcher and they don't taste at ALL like store bought chicken. We just ate a hen for dinner last night.

SlideStop 08-25-2013 03:53 PM

Maybe you need a few Jack Russells, or some other intense hunting animal. Do you have a neighbor willing to come out and "take care" of them. Or maybe you can trap them and release them far far away.
Posted via Mobile Device

acorn 08-25-2013 06:49 PM

Neither of us hunt although my husband did back in the day. He was raised so far back in the swamp that they had to swim to school and the store.
They had to hunt if they ate. :) He's gotten tender hearted.

IF we did hunt it would be like shooting fish in a barrel for squirrels and deer. They are so trusting.

One of my dogs did kill a possum this morning. They occasionally get a squirrel but one every now and then doesn't make a dent.
<laughing> I remember when we didn't have a single squirrel (forty two years ago) and I stupidly said I wish we had some squirrels. Goes to show you really do need to be careful what you wish for.

Saddlebag 08-25-2013 11:53 PM

I can't validate that it works but I was reading earlier today that human urine deters squirrels. It's worth a try and it's good for the soil.

toto 08-26-2013 12:04 AM

I love squirrel-- Its a southern delicacy!

if you try it i bet thered be no squirrels left! :lol: :-P

littleamy76 08-26-2013 12:17 AM

I understand your frustration. I have those darn squirrels getting up underneath my roof. They have chewed a hole through my sunroom ceiling. So that's yet another thing I have to get fixed around here that will cost me some money. We have plans to put a garden in, but I'm afraid the squirrels will ruin it as they have already ruined a bird feeder I had put out last year. Thanks squirrels, thanks a lot! lol

acorn 08-26-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 3460105)
I love squirrel-- Its a southern delicacy!

if you try it i bet thered be no squirrels left! :lol: :-P

I did eat squirrel once....unknowingly.

When I moved here 43 years ago there was an old man who was our nearest neighbor. He brought me some Brunswick stew that he had made. It was FANTASTIC. Best I've ever had.
I asked what was in it thinking that as usual pork and chicken would play the biggest role. He said "rabbit, squirrel, possum."

I probably couldn't have eaten it if I knew but I didn't and it WAS wonderful.:D

acorn 08-26-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleamy76 (Post 3460217)
I understand your frustration. I have those darn squirrels getting up underneath my roof. They have chewed a hole through my sunroom ceiling. So that's yet another thing I have to get fixed around here that will cost me some money. We have plans to put a garden in, but I'm afraid the squirrels will ruin it as they have already ruined a bird feeder I had put out last year. Thanks squirrels, thanks a lot! lol

I am afraid if they were getting in the house they would have to die.
I'd be afraid that they would chew wires.