The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   BIOTIN -- feed the capsules or?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/biotin-feed-capsules-26340/)

cowgirl4jesus94 04-19-2009 12:48 PM

BIOTIN -- feed the capsules or??
 
I bought a bottle of Biotin capsules. And need to feed Splash 4 capsules a day to get him his 20mg. So what would be the best way to feed it? Just in capsules? Open the capsules and put the powder in something? Have any of you guys fed your horses capsules?

Peggysue 04-19-2009 06:19 PM

why are you feeding just biotin it does NOTHING on it own with the amino acids backing it

happygoose123 04-19-2009 07:28 PM

i use stright biotin powder for my horse who has had problems with his hooves. it works quite well and his hooves wouldnt have come this far without it!!

i would break open the capsuals and mix is with some damp food. ive never heard of feeding capsuals to horses before lol! but someone else may have, see what other people have to say.

cowgirl4jesus94 04-20-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue (Post 291467)
why are you feeding just biotin it does NOTHING on it own with the amino acids backing it


I didnt know that... what are some things that have amino acids in it that I can buy?

Peggysue 04-20-2009 09:31 AM

you best bet is to find a good biotin supplement or a ration balancer that will cover all your bases ... soybean meal is a great source of amino acids as welll as distillers grains but good luck finding them as stand alone products

I do not adives just adding stuff to the diet without looking at the total picture :) what type of hay how much?? What feed and how much?? some thing have a very small window where they are safe... meaning while you may be looking at hoof supplement it might have a high level of vitamin A that when combined with your regular feed throws you into toxic range

xeventer17 04-20-2009 09:36 AM

you can mix the capsules in his feed or break them open and mix the powder in. either way works depending on the horse. some horses are good at eating around capsules though so you may have to break them open.

cowgirl4jesus94 04-20-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue (Post 291940)
you best bet is to find a good biotin supplement or a ration balancer that will cover all your bases ... soybean meal is a great source of amino acids as welll as distillers grains but good luck finding them as stand alone products

I do not adives just adding stuff to the diet without looking at the total picture :) what type of hay how much?? What feed and how much?? some thing have a very small window where they are safe... meaning while you may be looking at hoof supplement it might have a high level of vitamin A that when combined with your regular feed throws you into toxic range

All winter they were fed on about 3/4 alfalfa and 1/4 grass round bale.
They have finished the bale and have just been eating grass now. They have also been getting a 34oz. of oats and corn up until this past week and we stwitched to just oats.
So I dont know what sort of feeding schedule to put him on?

kitten_Val 04-20-2009 11:57 AM

cowgirl, are they having any issues? I mean why do you want to start giving biotin? I heard too that biotin by itself doesn't do much, needs to be combined with amino acids. You may look into pelleted supplement (like
Horseshoer's Secret™ or something).

cowgirl4jesus94 04-20-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 292015)
cowgirl, are they having any issues? I mean why do you want to start giving biotin? I heard too that biotin by itself doesn't do much, needs to be combined with amino acids. You may look into pelleted supplement (like
Horseshoer's Secret™ or something).


Splash's hooves arent in very good condition. He's got cracks on both front hooves and I heard biotin was good for that. I may just get a supplement. Does horse.com have any that you would recommend for an affordable price? thanks.

Peggysue 04-20-2009 12:54 PM

why not look for a ration balancer in your area ?? they on average are cheaper then most others and you could PROBABLY elimanate the oats all together then as well since they are a pelleted feed that most horses will eat...

they have great levels of all teh vitamin/minerals a horse needs and NORMALLY you don't have to add anything else UNLESS you need a joint supplement ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0