The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Change schools? (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/change-schools-263489/)

mahalopele 08-25-2013 04:54 PM

Change schools?

Hi everyone, I've been thinking about changing schools, and I want to hear what parents think. My school switched to a new program, where the students teach themselves, literally. The teachers are only there as guides. We also do all group work now, and i've been stuck doing other peoples work. Its frustrating. I've nearly cried before, it makes me so mad. The class sizes are ridiculous-ive had over 50 people in one class in a school with around 750 students total. I haven't learned anything last year, or this year, and I'm one of those people who want to learn. I have amazing friends, and a great music teacher here though.

There's one school nearby that I could go to with decent academics, but one of my friends who goes there says its not very challenging.

I found a boarding school online, that I really liked. They had outstanding academics, a teriffic riding program, dance classes, and great performing arts programs (im in drama, choir, ect). It feels like the perfect place for me, and I dream about going there. The only problem is, its insanely expensive. I know we can afford to go there, but it would be an investment. My parents would have to take it out of savings (my dads a penny pincher). I know it isnt right or fair to ask them to do this for me, but I feel like I belong there. I know i could fly there. Its everything I ever wanted, like my dream school. But is it really fair though?
Posted via Mobile Device

DuffyDuck 08-25-2013 04:58 PM

I think you need to tell your parents how unhappy you are.

I do not have children, but when I do I hope to give them the best of what I can, and education is so important.

Find stats too, see how many other schools are like this and what grades the pupils achieve. It sounds like pure laziness to me, but in other respects it is teaching you to do things yourself. You will find the same the same when you start working too... But that is another story.

Sit down and speak to your parents. You won't achieve if you are unhappy. It sounds like a totally bizarre way of teaching.

CLaPorte432 08-25-2013 05:20 PM

893 Attachment(s)
I agree with Duffy. I would approach your parents, maturely.

Tell them how you feel, give them all the information on the school you want to attend.

it is a big decision, but your future is at stake here. You could thrive at this boarding school if given the opportunity. But, you would need to make sure you did your absolute best. If you were to go there and fail, I'd bet your parents would not be happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hidalgo13 08-25-2013 05:28 PM

Education is really important. My parents were always set on making sure we had the best to ensure us bright futures. We all went to private schools (me and my sisters) because the public schools aren't that great in my area. I really see a difference between my friends that went to public, and those that went to private (not saying there aren't good public schools though). My parents sacrificed many fancy vacations and pleasant things to send me and my sisters to school, but it was their choice and it made them happy to know were getting a good education and learning a lot from very enthusiastic teachers.

You need to tell your parents your situation. They might be more open than you think if they realize how bad it is at your school. If you aren't learning that is troubling, because when you get to your last years of high school, what you learn becomes really useful for college. That's what I realized anyhow. I find myself using the knowledge I gained in high school and I can see I struggle much less then some of my peers that had really easy classes and teachers. They got good marks, but had they done the equivalent at my school, they'd probably have failed (or nearly).

Tell your parents how you feel. Not everyone is capable of teaching themselves. If that boarding school is one of the few choices for you, perhaps they could make it work. If not, maybe there are some other schools that aren't so expensive and that would be good as well? Maybe not as wonderful as this boarding school you found, but that would at least make you learn.

Also they might also have scholarships or some financial aid program. Look into it and see if you couldn't get some help paying the tuition.

Incitatus32 08-25-2013 05:32 PM

No one knows your educational needs better than you. You should talk to your parents and be mature, write out a list of pros and cons so that you can weigh the two schools against each other on paper. I had a similar problem when I was in high school (only my solution was to graduate in two-three years) me and my parents reached an agreement about what to do. Good luck! :)

mahalopele 08-25-2013 05:45 PM

I dont know what to do. My parents DEFINETELY won't want to pay tuition for the school because its ridiculous. Also, they both graduated from the school I currently go to, and it used to be an excellent school. My brother graduated from there too. They got the program about a year ago. Sometimes I've gotten so frustrated, I've cried myself to sleep at night (I've never told them this, because I dont want to upset them). I have great friends there though, and thats also one of the reasons why they are so hesitant to let me transfer. I know they really care about me, but I dont know how to show them how much it would mean to me, if they let me go to this school. This is something I REALLY, REALLY want, that I'm not going to give up on. But how do I show them that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Incitatus32 08-25-2013 05:57 PM

Ask them if they wouldn't mind sitting in for a while at your school, you could also tell them that you're not happy. Friends will stay friends no matter where you go (trust me), be honest. Even if they won't pay the tuition maybe you could reach some other agreement like doing an online school or something? Just some ideas to help out.

Joe4d 08-25-2013 07:28 PM

character lessons are just as important as the three "R"'s.... SO you have come up against a bit of hardship and your first reaction is to cut and run ? You tell th eteachers and counselors the way things are going dont work for you ? Did you get your parents involved in the school when the changes were first being considered? Have you brought up to them to talk to the school to see what can be done ? How many times have you answered "fine", when asked how your day went ?
You should at least try to fix where you are. Any where you go will have problems. You need to at least try to change it before throwing in the towel.

mahalopele 08-25-2013 07:32 PM

Online schooling isnt a bad idea, but we dont have internet at my house. Thanks for the idea though:)
Posted via Mobile Device

mahalopele 08-25-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 3458449)
character lessons are just as important as the three "R"'s.... SO you have come up against a bit of hardship and your first reaction is to cut and run ? You tell th eteachers and counselors the way things are going dont work for you ? Did you get your parents involved in the school when the changes were first being considered? Have you brought up to them to talk to the school to see what can be done ? How many times have you answered "fine", when asked how your day went ?
You should at least try to fix where you are. Any where you go will have problems. You need to at least try to change it before throwing in the towel.

Joe4d, my first reaction wasnt to run. I went through the program all last year, but eventually it got to me. I was tired of doing everyone elses work. I was tired of wasting my time. I WANTED TO LEARN! I was one of the few who actually wanted to learn something, anything.
The parents didnt have a choice when the program was brought into the school. The school got a grant for it, thats the only reason they could afford it. My parents and several other parents have talked to the school multiple times, but the school isnt listening. Some parents have even started a petition to make the program optional, but the school has already said that they aren't going to change anything. And why would they? They got extra money from the government for having so many students get A's, that only the honors students earned; they cheated the system, and got an excellent rating for it. This year, they got an
A on the government test. Its unfair. As for your last question, yes, I did answer fine when things really were fine, which wasnt often. I spoke with the teachers, but they didn't listen. I've never bothered to talk the guidance counselor because, what could they do? 4 teachers quit last year because of the program, and at least 50 students have left. I've tried so hard to make things work out, and it isnt. Thats why im looking at changing schools, not because im running away. I dont believe in running away from problems, I believe in fixing them. But this is something that won't be fixed. I want better, for me and my parents, who hear a lot about those problems, but are powerless to fix them. I'm not running. Im responding.
Posted via Mobile Device