The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   What should I look for in a speed event prospect? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/what-should-i-look-speed-event-26349/)

twogeldings 04-19-2009 04:51 PM

What should I look for in a speed event prospect?

What should I really be looking for in a Western speed event prospect? I would like to do barrels, poles, maybe even keyhole but don't want to buy a horse that has a higher risk of injury.

Conformation shots of the good, the bad, and the ugly would be great 8D

twogeldings 04-19-2009 05:06 PM

Ah...dang...>.>
I should have posted this under Western Riding, sorry guys >.<

Ah well..I have training questions anyways 8D

EternalSun 04-19-2009 07:42 PM

A nice, SANE horse. It doesn't matter how fast the horse can go, if you're looking at something that's rearing, spooky, hard to handle, extremely hot etc... step away! Like Charmayne James says, a good barrel horse should be able to walk into an arena, do his job, and walk out. A lot of people think that a hot, fast horse makes a good barrel horse, but that's not at all the case. You don't want a horse anticipating the patterns and trying to rush through them. Conformation wise, smaller horses tend to have an easier time getting around barrels and performing tight turns, so something between 14.2 -15.1 hh would be ideal. Not saying big horse's can't compete, but in my experience it's easier on the little ones. Also, a horse with a long back can have the same difficulties as a tall horse, so you want a nice, short back. Horses with the Dash for Cash and Streakin Sixes bloodlines are popular in the barrel racing world, so be on the lookout for those, but as everyone knows the bloodlines don't make the horse. I'll look up some pictures and post them so you can get an idea.

EternalSun 04-19-2009 07:59 PM

Here's a photo of a great barrel horse: he's a good size, has a short back, a kind, intelligent eye, strong shoulders and hind end, and a deep girth area. Stallion Services

twogeldings 04-19-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalSun (Post 291482)
A nice, SANE horse. It doesn't matter how fast the horse can go, if you're looking at something that's rearing, spooky, hard to handle, extremely hot etc... step away! Like Charmayne James says, a good barrel horse should be able to walk into an arena, do his job, and walk out. A lot of people think that a hot, fast horse makes a good barrel horse, but that's not at all the case. You don't want a horse anticipating the patterns and trying to rush through them. Conformation wise, smaller horses tend to have an easier time getting around barrels and performing tight turns, so something between 14.2 -15.1 hh would be ideal. Not saying big horse's can't compete, but in my experience it's easier on the little ones. Also, a horse with a long back can have the same difficulties as a tall horse, so you want a nice, short back. Horses with the Dash for Cash and Streakin Sixes bloodlines are popular in the barrel racing world, so be on the lookout for those, but as everyone knows the bloodlines don't make the horse. I'll look up some pictures and post them so you can get an idea.

Thanks for the advice 8D Also, should I watch out for leg wise? Should I keep an eye out also for shorter, more compact built legs verses longer?

EternalSun 04-19-2009 08:10 PM

All that matters is clean, conformationally correct legs. Longer legs will give you a bigger stride, but that doesn't always mean it will be faster.

BuckOff41570 04-20-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EternalSun (Post 291510)
All that matters is clean, conformationally correct legs. Longer legs will give you a bigger stride, but that doesn't always mean it will be faster.

I agree. Look for a balanced horse first. Compact horses tend to have a more difficult time on larger patterns (covering ground) and longer legged horses tend to have a difficult time on smaller patterns (getting collected up for a turn quickly enough)