The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Insurance (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/insurance-26351/)

eventer89 04-19-2009 04:11 PM

Insurance

I am looking into getting my new 5 year old TB gelding insured. I have never insured a horse before, so I am pretty clueless.

If your horse is insured, what is covered, what are your limits, what are your deductibles, what is your premium, and what state are you in? What discipline do you ride? (I believe that effects the rate?) What is the declared value of your horse? What company are you with? Are you happy with them? Do you pay once a year or in installments, and how often? Have you ever used your insurance? Any thoughts on it, good or bad?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

hotreddun 04-19-2009 10:29 PM

My horse has medical, surgical, theft and death. He loses his medical this year because he turned 16...he'll lose his surgical at 21. The rate is $250 for medical annual...$80ish for surgical and around $300 for theft/death. I think my deductible is $300. I consider myself lucky that I've never used it. Joint stuff is not covered ie injections, flexion tests. I don't know what discipline my horse is listed under...but his declared value is $7000. They do that through a bill of sale or show history. The company will "declare" his value not you which is kind of weird. I pay once a year...usually you save a few bucks that way. I think it's good...gives me peace of mind. It does cover loss of use and colic surgery.

hotreddun 04-19-2009 10:30 PM

I'm about to get my jumper insured...so we'll see if his rate is higher since he is in a more "dangerous" sport.

JustDressageIt 04-19-2009 10:45 PM

Denny is insured, if you would like to know the amount, please PM me. He's insured for major medical (including surgical) and mortality. My deductable is $500, and my premium altogether is $370/year.
It's peace of mind to me, and well worth it.