The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   I am SOOOO happy...[long!!] (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/i-am-soooo-happy-%5Blong-%5D-26355/)

draftlover215 04-19-2009 07:01 PM

I am SOOOO happy...[long!!]

I am floating on cloud 9 right now, and just need to share it with other people who I know will understand what I'm feeling and not just smile at me and say "oh wow cool". LOL!

This past November myself & a friend of mine started looking for an unbroke or just barely broke project horse to go in on buying together, in the hopes of buying cheap, training and selling for a decent profit. Well, we bought a very fiesty but sweet two year old Quarter Horse gelding who was broke for racing (he just turned 3 this month). When I first rode him he didn't know how to turn, how to move forward off of leg pressure or really anything at all. I basically starting from scratch with him. We butted heads A LOT in the beginning, to the point where I was about ready to tell my partner that we needed someone else to train him because he and I just weren't meshing with each other. Well, I wound up aggravating an old back injury about three weeks ago while exercise riding a friend's racehorse and was out of the saddle for that entire time. During these last three weeks I've spent almost every day on round pen work, building our bond & trust, sitting in the field with him, playing "tag" in the field with him, and giving him my undivided attention - all on the ground.

I got on him for the first time in three weeks four days ago, and let me just say all that groundwork paid off. It was like riding a new horse. Suddenly, he's moving off of my leg, neck reining at the walk (which he never did before), halting & backing with no fuss. I was able to ride him yesterday and today with no reins, and halted, backed, and turned him in each direction with just my legs & seat. Today I took him out on a short trail ride in just his halter and a lead shank and he was a dream. No spooking, just curious about everything, & we were alone too no other horses with us (the last few times we went on the trails he was spooky & nervous.) I can't believe what a difference just 3 simple weeks of ground work made. He still likes to trot around with his head in the air sometimes but he's even getting better with that, and is starting to learn to travel at the trot with his head nice and low.

Anyway, I'm done rambling now!! I just had to share with SOMEONE how happy I am, and I know all of you will understand how awesome this is! Thanks for reading!!! :D

Nicole88 04-20-2009 03:34 PM

That's awesome! Congrats, it sounds like you've bonded nicely with him and you are making huge strides on training! :-)

PaintedHooves 04-20-2009 05:55 PM

If I were you, I too would be on Cloud 9. That must be so exciting for you, I guess it turns out all he needed was some bonding time. I wish you luck on the rest of his training!

NorthernMama 04-20-2009 10:29 PM

Congrats!