The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Jumping Problem (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/jumping-problem-26365/)

midnightbright 04-19-2009 07:15 PM

Jumping Problem

Hello, I sooo hope you can help me on this.

My Pony is named Madeira and she is still green (not fully trained). She and I have a little problem in jumping. When we come up to a jump in the trot she likes to refuse alot because she likes to look at the jump. I don't know how to not let her refuse and just jump it smoothly with out a run-out. She never refuses a jump if I'm cantering though, why is that?

Please help,
Midnightbright

HorsesAreForever 04-19-2009 08:14 PM

Hi!

STOP cantering the jumps! thats the first thing! She needs to get her muscles in her hind before she can take jumps at a canter. She knows she can make it at a canter because she has the speed to just pop over it but at the trot she has to actually think about her feet and the height! So maybe do them with you on ground at a trot first, that's what im doing before I start again in saddle. do mini courses on a lunge line! You want to learn balence it will help immensly in the future! :))

Hope I help in some way!

Spirithorse 04-19-2009 08:58 PM

A horse will usually refuse for a couple of reasons. 1) the horse is unconfident, 2) the horse is sour on jumping, 3) the horse is in pain, 4) the rider is getting in the way (rider error).

So first make sure your horse is not in pain. Next, make sure you are balanced, off her front end and not getting in her way. It doesn't sound like your horse is sour, so it might be an unconfidence issue.

I'd go back on the ground and make sure she is confident trotting over poles, raised ground poles, then eventually jumps. Do this on-line. When you know FOR SURE that she is confident you can then try it riding. If she refuses the WORST thing you could do is smack her. If she refuses and you smack her, why on earth would she ever want to jump for you? She won't. The reason I say this is because I see so many riders smack their horses and try to force them over the jump when they refuse. It ruins the relationship for one, not to mention it just proves to your horse that you can't be trusted.

Okay, now that my mini rant is over lol.....if she refuses then walk her away and then walk her back toward the jump and let her investigate. Once she is relaxed walk her away and re-approach. Do that until she isn't even interested in the jump.

Also, when working her on the ground and while riding, does she maintain gait when asked, or do you have to keep asking her to go?

Ahsisi 04-19-2009 09:00 PM

Does she only refuse the first trot jump or all trot jumps? If it is only the first one try to walk her up to it and let her look, siff it, touch it for a minute. Then come around to it and expect her to stop...so close your leg and keep a feel of her mouth. Sometimes when the rider knows their pony is going to stop, they just sit there and wait for it to happen. Be proactive and fix it before it happens. Eventually you won't have to let her look at it or sniff it. She NEEDS to do trot jumps. Trot jumps teach them how to rock back and use themselves off the ground right from the base. If she can't trot a jump effectively, odds are she isn't cantering it effectively either. But don't worry...definitely fixable. Good luck!

midnightbright 04-20-2009 10:15 AM

Dear SpiritHorse,

Madeirs uselly maintains the gait while asked.

Dear Ahsisi,

Madeira uselly Refuses The first cross-rail and some others. Do You Think Growling would help. My friend has a 21 year old pony that doesn't like red fences and her trainer said to growl at her. So far it has really worked.

P.S. I am Going to camp with her in 48 days and last year I when with her was a complet disaster so I really need to figure it out.
Thank you!

Madeira=Sassy,Lovable,Sweet,Young,Hiper,Beautiful Girl:-)

Ahsisi 04-20-2009 11:04 AM

I would try to just use your leg at first, but if it absolutely isn't working then you can growl at her a little bit. I wouldn't make it a habit, but you can use it to back your leg up if you need to. Good luck! I am sure you wil get it all figured out and camp will be wat better this year!

midnightbright 04-20-2009 11:34 AM

I sure do hope so. Last time Madeira refused every other fence and it was a group lesson! I was so embarresed!:oops: Thank you so much for your answers I also have another problem. Madeira after bathes when I lead her out to the pasture She goes crazy and starts bucking and half-rearing and I don't know why. Sometimes she is very calm and just walks away. Why?:? And what is a carrot locator and what are carrots for?

Spirithorse 04-20-2009 04:54 PM

She probably just feels frisky after a bath. If she starts getting out of hand back her up until she is calmer. Simple and effective :)

Aliboo 04-20-2009 04:57 PM

I would try lunging her over a jump, and doing trotting work, and trot over very small jumps and poles first

Ahsisi 04-20-2009 07:01 PM

Yeah, some horses just feel refreshed after a bath and get frisky. I would do the same thing, stop her and make her back up. If you nee a little more help than just a regular lead rope you can use a chain, but make sure it is a soft one and be fairly gentle with it. Be careful when she is acting like this and you let her go in the pasture....make sure you turn her around first so you aren't in kicking range! They can be really quick sometimes! (Not sure about the carrots or the carrot locator...let me know if you find out!)