The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Advice on Goat Slaughter Please! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/advice-goat-slaughter-please-263786/)

aspin231 08-26-2013 03:44 AM

Advice on Goat Slaughter Please!

I know this may be an odd scenario, but bear with me.

First things first- I feed my cats raw, and have done so for a year now with no ill effects. I'm not posting this thread to have a discussion about the merrits of raw, whole prey model pet feeding. There are plenty of other places that talk can take place. Thanks.

Now where to start...

Being morally opposed to factory farming myself, I can't justify continuing to feed supermarket meat to my pets. I began looking for alternatives but the cost is very high for proper free-range meats, and $25/kg cat chow is not something I want to squeeze in to my budget. In addition, I want to feed all parts of the animal, not just the muscle, and finding the things I need (such as brain and lungs!) is proving very difficult if not impossible.

The logical(ish) solution I have come to is that I need to acquire a slaughter animal and harvest what I want, the way I want it. I would have to have someone else do the actual kill as I do not have the proper equipment, meaning gun, but there is an abattoir 2km from me that offers that service for $40, or I could likely ask a hunting friend to make the kill in exchange for what have you. The cutting of the carcass doesn't make me squeamish or anything and I would take it from there myself.

There are goats available from the local livestock auction ranging from $20 to $150 (ish). I would be content with older dairy goats, culls, whatever (the cats won't care!) so my purchase would likely be on the lower end of this scale. The reason I keep coming back to goats is because they would fit properly in my freezer space and are affordably priced, and because they aren't usually found in factory farming type deals in my area.

Here is my idea: I could purchase an inexpensive animal (goat or sheep) and have someone do the kill for me, then process it to my standards.
Good plan, right?

The problem: I do not have a farm or any place to keep a goat and the kill would have to happen same day or (most likely) next day.
The issue with that, and the main problem I have with this plan, is that with auction animals, there is no guarantee of when medications (dewormers etc) were given, and that is a valid concern towards ensuring the safety of the meat, even though it's "only" going to my pets.

I do not know of anywhere near me that offers goat boarding services, but I haven't researched this thoroughly and paying to keep the goat elsewhere for a month to allow any potential toxins to leave the body would still make the meat per pound price much, much less expensive than the other meats I am considering.

Does anyone have any ideas or brainstorming to add to this? I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

grayshell38 08-26-2013 03:52 AM

I know people that tether their goats out like a dog.

Joe4d 08-26-2013 07:09 AM

wear do you live ? maybe you could buy / get free deer by products from said local hunters, Liver, heart lungs are usually left behind, but would make good cat food. Also any commercial fishing going on ? Or for that matter a zebco a can of worms in the right time and place coiuld harvest plenty of fish.

Saddlebag 08-26-2013 02:40 PM

Goats aren't shot, the throat is slit and it's hung upside down to bleed out. Not my cup of tea but that's the way it's done. Our butcher would save scraps for my large dog altho I did simmer then since I didn't know how long they'd sat out. Same with local deer/moose butcher. Feed moose scraps and the farts will drive everyone out of the house.

Red Gate Farm 08-26-2013 02:49 PM

What about raising meat rabbits?

What type of living spaces do you have for animals?

Speed Racer 08-26-2013 02:52 PM

Better to just buy the meat already processed from a local butcher, or buy a meat goat from a local breeder and take it to the butcher.

You seem to think it's going to be easy to discard whatever remains from a meat goat that you don't plan to feed to your cats. It's not; there are rules and regulations about disposing of animal carcasses. Plus, what exactly do you know about dismembering a carcass? You didn't even know that goats have to be bled out (as do all meat animals) before you can start cutting on the body.

Slaughtering and processing are actually a lot more involved than just killing the animal and hacking away at the carcass.

aspin231 08-29-2013 04:39 AM

I would like to thank everyone for the good suggestions. To touch on a few bases- I already get scraps from butchers, so that is taken care of. I have a very cheap source of fish, so contacting a fishery would be superfluous. I can't raise any animals myself as I live in a rental, unfortunately.

To the poster who said that goats aren't shot, I really do need to say that there is more than one way to perform a slaughter and I personally wouldn't allow the animal to not be stunned prior to slaughter. A sure way to do this is with a properly placed bullet before the throat is slit.

I really do think that if I decide to buy a meat animal I'll board it out elsewhere for a month of downtime then have it slaughtered, either by the abattoir or with the aid of a hunting friend.

Now to address this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 3464666)
Better to just buy the meat already processed from a local butcher, or buy a meat goat from a local breeder and take it to the butcher.

You seem to think it's going to be easy to discard whatever remains from a meat goat that you don't plan to feed to your cats. It's not; there are rules and regulations about disposing of animal carcasses. Plus, what exactly do you know about dismembering a carcass? You didn't even know that goats have to be bled out (as do all meat animals) before you can start cutting on the body.

Slaughtering and processing are actually a lot more involved than just killing the animal and hacking away at the carcass.

Speed Racer, I know you are known for very straightforward answers though I do find this one to be presumptuous. I never touched on my plans for discarding the bits I won't be using, which would be very few considering what I want to keep for my pets and the reason I want to do this at all is to have all parts of the animal available. I'm feeding a natural prey model- cats eat all. Assuming I don't have a plan is ridiculous.
Also, insinuating that I'm not aware of slaughtering practices is uncalled for. I'm not naive about the process, and the only statement I made that I can even begin to imagine led to your path of thinking is that I said I didn't have the proper equipment and then cited a gun. I didn't find it necessary to go in to detail about the slaughter. All I meant by that was exactly what was said- as in I have access to other equipment such as a proper knife, dressing area etc.
And frankly, apart from getting the carcass in to manageable chunks after skinning, the process isn't more involved than hacking at the carcass because all the meat is cut in to cubes or meaty bones, nothing fancy. I have purchased half carcasses before and done all further processing myself. Now that I've cleared that up, I'm wondering if you have anything productive to add to this discussion that is less inflammatory.

Thanks.

Kotori 08-29-2013 07:51 AM

maybe you could find someone in your area that is raising meat rabbits. They could keep an extra doe for you, and it'd be a win/win situation! most rabbits are not given wormers/medication (purely for money reasons) insuring the meat is clean.

Or contact a goat breeder, and get it straight from the source. Pygmy or Nigerian dwarf farms are best for this, but Boers, kikos and spanish are good as well if you can handle the extra size- up to 300 pounds.

LouieThePalomino 08-29-2013 08:15 AM

Why not raise rabbits or something? Theyre smaller, cats eat them in the wild all the time and they can reproduce like crazy. Idk if id go to that extent to feed a cat but whatever works for you lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

Foxhunter 08-29-2013 10:38 AM

You have the answer in that you have an abattoir very close to you. Call them and see if you can get the throw outs, this is usually lights (lungs) tripe (stomach) pigs heads, sometimes liver.

I have always had my supply of raw for the dogs from the abattoir and they have done well on it.
If an animal has been fed on any drugs then there is a period from administration to being slaughtered if they are entering the human food chain and this in the UK is generally adhered to.

The problem with buying an animal for home kill os that you have a lot to be discarded. Legs, from knees and hocks down, skull, intestines, because although dogs will eat a certain amount they will not clear it all, bladder, bowel, bones and hide.
Not so bad I. The winter but will stink like heck after a few hours in hot weather.

All things to be considered.