The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Mini mare, When will she foal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mini-mare-when-will-she-foal-263818/)

stephmanietta 08-26-2013 08:03 AM

Mini mare, When will she foal?

Hi guys, I am new here. I know you are probably all tired of people wanting to know when there foal will arrive. I hate to do it, but I need a new set of eyes, and minds to take a look and help me out.
I have been around horses my whole life, but only this year started owning any.
In the spring I bought a mini mare from a lady who had just gotten her. I was told she had been in a big herd. She was shy and spooky. I was told she was in season when I got her. I got a mini stallion at the same time, not for breeding, just because I really liked him, he just happened to be a stud. I have kept them separated but close to each other. He has not shown any interest in her at all.
For the first few months I worked on getting her weight up and getting her used to me and to trust me. About 3 months ago she started loosing weight. I had changed to a new hay guy so I thought that was the problem. I have found a great hay guy now, all my other horses are fat and plump. I have been giving her the best feed and even weight gainers and she wasn't putting any weight on.
About 6 weeks ago I noticed she had a big belly sticking out on the sides. Despite how thin and tiny she is she has a belly.
About a week ago she started to get an udder. It has gotten a little bigger everyday since.
Her back end is really soft and her tail head seems loose. Friday I noticed she looks flat on the sides now.
Now I know that she will have it when she is ready and that most horses do just fine on there own and don't need any help. But I think with her being in poor health she will probably have a weak foal, and that if I am not there to help they may not be okay.
Can some of you experienced people please give me your opinion on how much longer?

stephmanietta 08-26-2013 08:09 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Attachment 266154

Attachment 266162

Attachment 266170

Attachment 266178

Attachment 266186

Attachment 266194

Attachment 266202

Attachment 266210These are her pics for the last few weeks

Chiilaa 08-26-2013 08:38 AM

This girl needs a vet, ASAP. She is not just skinny, she is thin. Her tail head isn't soft, it's non-existent.

She needs a vet for two reasons - first of all, to check if she is in foal or not. Only a vet can do this - we cannot tell from these pictures, the only picture that we could tell from would be a sonogram. Until there are hooves actually emerging from her back end, there is no way for anyone to tell just by looking if she is in foal.

The other reason she needs a vet is because of how skinny she is. I can see the pick she seems to have access to, and no mini in good health should be that skinny while having access to graze and hay. I am not saying you are not feeding her, please don't get that impression. I am saying that she needs her diet tailored specifically to her medical needs in order to gain weight.

NdAppy 08-26-2013 08:53 AM

I'm with Chiilaa here.

Your mare needs to be seen by a vet regardless of when/if she is going to foal. You need to have a work up done as to why she is not gaining weight, and finding out if she is for sure in foal or not is imperative. Minis are notorious for having foaling problems and need to be watched really, really closely.

The weed filled area in with the raised garden beds is not appropriate, nor is it appropriate fencing. If she were to put a leg through that she would deglove her leg in a heartbeat. More so if she is pregnant and foals in there it will do the same to the foal.

Little Mare 08-26-2013 09:10 AM

Are you working her? The belly can, in part, be caused by lack of muscle in the top line. I do agree with the others that she should see a vet. They can tell you if she is in foal and what you need to do to care for her and prepare for the baby, and they should also be able to help you figure out why your mare is in poor health.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

stephmanietta 08-26-2013 09:44 AM

She was seen my a vet about 6 weeks ago. She confirmed that she is pregant and thinks the baby is causing her to be so thin. The weight loss just started about 3 months ago. She was with another mare that I thought was being a food bully do they were separated. After that didn't help and I noticed the belly getting bigger I had the vet out, was worried about worms. Vet recommended I change from strategy to Strategy healthy edge. And feed smaller amounts 3 times a day.
She couldn't day for sure how far along she was but felt fetal movement. Said usually within a month of her bagging up.

The fenced area she was in that pic is not were she normally stays. She was only there while I did work in her pasture since she likes to follow me like a puppy!
The vet will be comming back in a week but I am just wondering if she is close enough that I should be checking on her every few hours through the night?
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 08-26-2013 09:49 AM

893 Attachment(s)
A pregnant mare should not be skinny. Ever.
A nursing mare should not be skinny. Ever.

she is not getting enough to eat. Does she have access to good quality hay 24/7?

if mare is skinny, she is not getting enough calories in her diet. You need to feed more.

there is no way to tell how far along she is without the breeding dates. I'd be checking on her anyways, but you could do that's for months yet. Fetal movement can start at six months, so, your guess is as good as ours?
Posted via Mobile Device

stephmanietta 08-26-2013 09:56 AM

Yes she has good hay 24/7 and plenty of good quality feed.
She is very young and should not have been bred. Vet said that she has seen it before when the mare is bred to young abs isnt done growing themselves the baby sucks the nutrients out of them. Compared it to teenagers getting pregnant.

She has udder development and seems to have started dropping in the belly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiilaa 08-26-2013 10:08 AM

I personally would be seeking a second opinion. Fetal movements do not mean she is in foal - I have had kids myself, and if I put my hand on my tummy while I have particularly active gas bubbles, it feels a heck of a lot like a baby kicking.

CLaPorte432 08-26-2013 10:11 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by stephmanietta (Post 3462514)
Yes she has good hay 24/7 and plenty of good quality feed.
She is very young and should not have been bred. Vet said that she has seen it before when the mare is bred to young abs isnt done growing themselves the baby sucks the nutrients out of them. Compared it to teenagers getting pregnant.

She has udder development and seems to have started dropping in the belly.
Posted via Mobile Device

Poor baby.
Posted via Mobile Device