The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotting in hand question

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Equus_girl 
#1 ·
I have been working with a 10 month old filly, training her to trot in hand lately. She trots up perfectly and doesn't hesitate but she sometimes tries to nip me as she is trotting along beside me. I am so confused! She is the most respectful filly I know, never bites, pushes, kicks, anything! I don't know why she would do this. She seems to like trotting and wants to go even faster but after a little bit her ears go back and she tries to bite. She doesn't do this all the time - just sometimes. Am I doing something wrong? Should I stop trotting her, or is this a respect issue? She's never had a problem with being nippy and is perfect in everything else.

I had another question too. One colt I'm working with is the opposite. He does not like to trot in hand and will go no faster than a walk. Can anyone give me some tips to get him to trot? He's very respectful too and never tries to bite, but he is so laid back he's not really into trotting!

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have been working with a 10 month old filly, training her to trot in hand lately. She trots up perfectly and doesn't hesitate but she sometimes tries to nip me as she is trotting along beside me. I am so confused! She is the most respectful filly I know, never bites, pushes, kicks, anything! I don't know why she would do this. She seems to like trotting and wants to go even faster but after a little bit her ears go back and she tries to bite. She doesn't do this all the time - just sometimes. Am I doing something wrong? Should I stop trotting her, or is this a respect issue? She's never had a problem with being nippy and is perfect in everything else.
First guess (and only a guess)... it could be pain. She might be stiff, have hoof pain based on the ground you are running on. Might just be her young muscles are not developed enough to trot "on cue."

I had another question too. One colt I'm working with is the opposite. He does not like to trot in hand and will go no faster than a walk. Can anyone give me some tips to get him to trot? He's very respectful too and never tries to bite, but he is so laid back he's not really into trotting!
Thanks!
I don't know much about colts, but I have seen this in several adult horses. To overcome this, I start by getting my energy level up. Excited, animated, etc. I generally start by basically jogging in place. In other words, I move along at the pace of a walk, but my body looks like it is jogging with high, exaggerated leg and arm motions. For _really_ lazy horse, I might have to "nudge" them a little with the rope halter. Most times, getting my energy level up helps to put them "in the mood" and they will usually start trotting with me.

Hope this helps.

#3 ·
For the colt, I would have someone help you get him started trotting (like clap their hands or cluck at him). That way he figures out what you want. Eventually you won't need someone to help you becuase he will understand what you are asking for. As for the filly, sometimes they just get excited to do this. I would hold my hand further away from her head (like the buckle of the reins or further down the lead rope). You can carry a crop and just hold it out (don't hit her with it) just hold it and sometimes they learn to respect that. If she does bite you, I would stop her and back her up, tell her "NO" very firmly and then try again. Good luck!

#4 ·
for the filly i'd have to say this is likely a pain issue. it could be she's out of shape and gets tired after a while, or has hoof or back pain, or is stiff. or it could be something else all together, but i'd definitely try to get her checked out by a vet and then, if the vet doesn't find anything, maybe a chiropractor. if she's perfectly fine and you know she's not out of shape then im stumped. it really doesn't sound like a respect issue.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the help! I will have someone help me with the colt so he gets the idea of what I'm wanting him to do. Thats a thought - maybe the filly is tired or stiff. I don't think she's in pain really 'cus she seems fine with everything else but she could get tired easily as she has mostly not had much done with her all winter. Since she's not mine, I'm just working with her for her owner, I'll see what the owner can do about getting her checked out. I think its possible too the she is just trying to play and is getting over excited. She is a playful filly with the other young ones and I wonder if she thinks trotting means she gets to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.