The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Do you trust your horse?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/do-you-trust-your-horse-26403/)

smrobs 04-20-2009 01:48 AM

Do you trust your horse??

Okay, so I just came back from a really nice, long bareback ride on Dobe. Anyway, while I was loping down a dark bar-ditch and thinking to myself, the thought struck me "Am I the only person who does things like this?" It was completely dark, there is no moon and very few town lights here and we were away from town anyway. I could not see anything except the very faint shine of his light colored neck in the starlight and I got to thinking about how my step-mom called me crazy for riding at night. Am I the only person who doesn't worry about loping bareback down a ditch when I can't see anything except the stars? How many other people here have absolute trust in their horses?

Showjumping2008 04-20-2009 02:18 AM

I completly 100% trust my 19 year old Thoroughbred gelding... I'd do anything on him provided it wasnt too dangerous.
My 12 year old Thoroughbred is another storry though! I trust him with some things but there are other things I cant see to trust him with. :?

NorthernMama 04-20-2009 09:24 AM

Trust? Hmmm... I dunno about that, but I have galloped my horse bareback down the gravel road in the moonlight. It felt so awesome I had to do it again the next night! Totally stupid thing to do, but sometimes ya just have to live a little!

I guess I figure that the horse wants to wipe out / run into things about just as much as I do...

Jane Honda 04-20-2009 11:02 AM

It depends on the horse. My kids horse, yes. I trusted her to the ends of the earth, and spent many a star lit night on her during my recovery from my accident.

Jibs, now, I am beginning to trust her much more and more. Thats just my confidence issue after my motorcycle accident... *sigh*

Vidaloco 04-20-2009 01:24 PM

I'm old and don't bounce as easy as I did when I was younger. But yes, I trust my horse. I don't trust myself sometimes, but I generally always trust my Vida. We have been out on trails where we weren't exactly sure of how to get back to camp. The horses always know :lol:

LDblackhorse 04-20-2009 01:27 PM

I trust my horse 100%. He is genrally right about most things and never once have I thought i was in danger.

I Love my boy

Jubilee Rose 04-20-2009 01:31 PM

I personally don't think its possible to trust a horse, or any animal, completely. Horses still are horses ... even the most level-headed, bombproof horse can startle at something.

But still I would say that yes, I do trust my horse. I know that she would never do anything intentionally to hurt me. We have grown a lot and learned together... she is such a good girl and I love her to bits. :-)

Jessabel 04-23-2009 06:02 PM

I trust Victor 100% on the ground. I know he would never bite or kick me. In the saddle is another story. He's unpredictable and throws tantrums like you wouldn't believe. That's on his bad days. He's perfect on his good days, though. I don't even trust him to go over trot poles half the time. He refuses them all the time, like he thinks they're gonna jump up and bite him. I only put up with him because he's too darn good looking for his own good. XD

Norman is pretty reliable, considering he's green. I can relax on him and don't have to be on my toes every step of the way, which is a nice break. He's reasonably trustworthy on the ground, too. Not a mean bone in his body. He would never hurt anyone on purpose, but he's stepped on my feet several times.

Jane Honda 04-23-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose (Post 292049)
I personally don't think its possible to trust a horse, or any animal, completely. Horses still are horses ... even the most level-headed, bombproof horse can startle at something.

But still I would say that yes, I do trust my horse. I know that she would never do anything intentionally to hurt me. We have grown a lot and learned together... she is such a good girl and I love her to bits. :-)

If I was trusting my horse to act on human impulses, then no. I do not trust her. I trust her as a horse. Horses will act like horses, no matter how 'bomb proof' they are. It's possible to trust your horse, but don't ever let your safety habits slide. It's the gentle ones that will always hurt you...

ChingazMyBoy 04-25-2009 06:32 PM

I trust my 8 year old Thoroughbred gelding Chinga 100 percent.