The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Equine Careers and Education (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/)
-   -   Starting up a livery yard (http://www.horseforum.com/equine-careers-education/starting-up-livery-yard-264521/)

Kskinner 08-27-2013 02:43 AM

Starting up a livery yard

Hello, I'm thinking of setting up a livery yard but don't know where to start! What would I need to think about set up wise and what would my monthly out goings be?
Posted via Mobile Device

Little Mare 08-27-2013 05:25 PM

This is very, very open to opinion. Do you have a property already? Think about what resources that property has already, if you do.

If you are looking to purchase a property, decide on a budget. Think about if you are planning on catering to a certain discipline, are just going to be a boarding barn, if you want to be full- or self-service, etc.

Regardless of if you own the property yet or not, I suggest creating a list of priorities and decide what you must have absolutely first. Starting any business can be difficult and your monthly bill will vary - especially while getting on your feet.

If you are not a horse professional yourself, I would begin networking as much as possible to gain some help and guidance.

Kskinner 08-28-2013 06:44 AM

thanks. I haven't got a property yet put have seen 2 I want to take a look at. I have been involved with horses since I was 4 years old so know a bit about it all. this is something I have wanted to do for the last 10 years but just haven't found the right time to do it. now seems like its now or never!

DuffyDuck 08-28-2013 07:32 AM

There is much to think about.

What facilities will you offer? Ie, stables, fields, arenas, hacking areas, roundpen, hosing station.

How many horses will you stable for?

Do you know local feed/hay/straw suppliers?

What are the current rates in your area?

Is your area in need of another stables? If there are many stables in the local area, how will you get people in to your barn?

Insurance

Stable hands?

Working hours

Knowing a bit about horses is fine, but running it as a management is something else. I look for a barn manager that can openly give me good advice on feeding plans, turnout regimes, offer lessons etc etc. For example I will not choose a yard that doesn't have someone on site 24/7 or for the most part of the day and some of the evening.

They are just things off the top of my head.