The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Major jumping fail! (video) (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/major-jumping-fail-video-264537/)

ElaineLighten 08-27-2013 05:23 AM

Major jumping fail! (video)

This was my first time jumping my loan and his first time jumping in two years...
I put the poles there to start with so he'd trot into the jump... didn't work. So we left just one pole to stop him doing extra pole jumps/getting confused and to try keep him in trot... definitely didn't work! He was jumping beautifully by the end of it though!

You can crit if you like, just in case there's anything I haven't noticed myself :)

Tracer 08-27-2013 07:05 AM

Love the first one :P He's like '*canter canter canter* NOPE'.

Cacowgirl 08-27-2013 07:14 AM

Eventful ride-looks like you were prepared for just about anything-glad you are OK!

kitten_Val 08-27-2013 07:40 AM

Looks like he spooked big time (when you lost the balance). Glad you are OK! As for falls, it definitely happens with many of us (me including). :)

Speaking of balance, in the very beginning (when you are close enough), while you are aligned quite nicely your heels are up (and that could be partially the reason why you lost the balance when he suddenly spin).

KWPNowner 08-27-2013 05:19 PM

He's a cute jumper! He looks careful and bold.

He does look like he drags you to the jumps a little and looks like he tend to quicken after the jump. I think you can keep him calmer on the backside of the jump if you really focus on keeping your arms soft and giving him a good release, as well as staying off his back until he has landed. It looks like you tend to fall back a little early, catching him in the mouth and landing on his back before he's completed his jumping effort. That often makes horses quick.

The problem at the jump where you nearly came off, happened because he had been allowed to canter the trot poles earlier in the session. He just put himself in a bad spot and couldn't get out of trouble in time. You can avoid that by insisting that he stay in a trot over trot poles, even if it results in him just trotting the fence. I can see that he's keen to the jumps, so making sure he is allowing himself to be rated is very valuable before you move up to bigger jumps.

Good luck with him, he's very cute!

Oxer 08-28-2013 12:14 AM

i'd buy this one without a second thought. he looks like he'd make a fabulous jumper... totally my kind of horse!
that being said, i would work this horse on the ground quite a bit before i went RUNNING at a jump. he's got not respect for your whoa on the approach. he doesn't believe you, doesn't trust you, and is making it all his agenda.

Oxer 08-28-2013 12:15 AM

Post Script: It is a pretty darn funny video.

:)

ElaineLighten 08-28-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxer (Post 3480481)
i'd buy this one without a second thought. he looks like he'd make a fabulous jumper... totally my kind of horse!
that being said, i would work this horse on the ground quite a bit before i went RUNNING at a jump. he's got not respect for your whoa on the approach. he doesn't believe you, doesn't trust you, and is making it all his agenda.

He is one of the most honest, hard working ponies I've ever had the pleasure to ride. 19 going on 4 ;)
He's always had a really nippy canter, I did do some work on it, collecting him and getting him slower, but I think he got really excited about jumping! Bless him :)

natisha 08-28-2013 01:42 PM

I believe you're supposed to keep your heels lower than your head but other than that great video. Loved your cat landing after the second oops.
You are both really cute too.

MyBoyPuck 08-30-2013 10:34 PM

Well, if you've gotta fall. that sure looks like some nice footing to fall onto. What a nice ring you have. Funny video. Glad you are okay. I agree with Oxer. Some serious half halting needs to happen to maintain the trot into the poles. You don't want to be a on jumper that talented when he's making his own decisions.