The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   People who own white horses... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/people-who-own-white-horses-26456/)

NyHorseGal 04-20-2009 05:34 PM

People who own white horses...

Hello Everyone...

I need your help... I have a white paint horse. Show season has already started. I need some help on how to keep my horse clean for the upcoming shows.

My horse is all white. He has a brown head. Black tail. White mane thats turning yellow.. :oops:

Ive never owned a white horse before. I did own a flea bitten grey horse though. I remember using blueing shampoo for him. Thats all i remember.

My horse is the only white pain horse at the barn. There are 3 palominos. 1 cream color pony. 1 dapple grey horse. The other horses are bay,black,and chestnut.

Thanks.

Trissacar 04-20-2009 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NyHorseGal (Post 292283)
Hello Everyone...

I need your help... I have a white paint horse. Show season has already started. I need some help on how to keep my horse clean for the upcoming shows.

My horse is all white. He has a brown head. Black tail. White mane thats turning yellow.. :oops:

Ive never owned a white horse before. I did own a flea bitten grey horse though. I remember using blueing shampoo for him. Thats all i remember.

My horse is the only white pain horse at the barn. There are 3 palominos. 1 cream color pony. 1 dapple grey horse. The other horses are bay,black,and chestnut.

Thanks.

Quic silver shampoo. Um a flysheet. baby powder. Lots of stores have whitening shampoo.

equestrian_rider465 04-20-2009 05:49 PM

BATHS!!!! If you own a white horse like me, plenty of baths. A day before the show you should give your horse a bath with warm water and make sure they stay white. Use maybe a show sheet to keep they're body clean and a slinky to keep their head and neck clean. Also, stable bandages are a good idea because they will keep their legs clean. My horse is a speckled/dapple grey and she LOVES to roll in her own manure and pee. I also use a spray called Ventrolin Green Out. I thought that worked really well. It's really good for spot removing and it's from the company Farnam. You can get it at Greenhawk, which is where I got mine. Hope this helps!!!

NyHorseGal 04-20-2009 06:10 PM

Thank you for your comments.
:o)

dynamite. 04-20-2009 06:14 PM

I have an appaloosa with a lot of white on her. I bathe her before shows, and then after that use cowboy magic stain remover for small stains. It saves me a lot of time and works really well! Whitening shampoo and baby powder work great for white horses that turn yellow. I've never used it but my friend did and her horse was nice and bright after lol. :)

Jane Honda 04-20-2009 06:23 PM

Another thing that will work well, and it's inexpensive is Dawn Dish soap.

Yeah, I said it. Dawn.

I had a grey Arab gelding, and he was famously dirty. His tail was white, but I thought it would always have a yellowish cast to it. I used Quicksliver, bluing, anything.

Well, I wanted him sparkling clean, and so I put his tail ends in a bucket filled with dawn dish-soapy water, scrubbed it, washed it with dish soap straight, and then rinsed like the devil.

That tail was so sparkling white, I was floored. He looked gorgeous. Just make sure you use spray on coat conditioners (I prefer Laser sheen) to condition the tail hairs, and to prevent further staining.

1dog3cats17rodents 04-20-2009 06:25 PM

Quicksilver is a life saver for white horses! Just be sure to rinse it out really well or you get a purple horse

twogeldings 04-20-2009 06:52 PM

For touch up's on Show Day. MTG makes some products to make white manes and markings white again :)

PoptartShop 04-20-2009 08:07 PM

My friend has a white horse, & she LIVES for that quicksilver stuff! :lol: It really does work well.

weefoal 04-20-2009 08:50 PM

I agree with all of the above. We also always have white chalk on hand especially for mares with white legs as they often come in heat at a show and the chalk can do a quick cover up in between classes.

We have had to use tide with bleach a couple times on really yellow tails. Just be sure to rinse totally and condition after as it is drying