The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rubs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rubs-26462/)

juju 04-20-2009 07:29 PM

Rubs

I recently noticed that my horse has rub marks where my leg goes. They aren't spur rubs because someone has borrowed mine and yet to return them and that was like a month and a half ago. Anyways, what is the best method of growing the hair back and preventing it from happening? Someone at my barn suggested diaper rash cream and then baby powder. That's what ive been using but i'd like to hear what everyone thinks.

twogeldings 04-20-2009 07:49 PM

Shapley's MTG works well on re-growing hair. I posted a thread about it somewhere here...the results that other members posted were pretty amazing :shock:

G and K's Mom 04-20-2009 07:54 PM

My first thought was you must have a death grip on your horse if your leaving rub marks..... OR, you have very sloppy legs that are constantly moving.......

What material is up against the horse? Are you wearing half chaps,boots, jeans or britches?

To prevent it from happening is a tough question, I would love to see a video of you riding.

As for a cream or other treatment, again, you need to figure out what is making this happen.

Could it just be that he's having a reaction and the fact that it's where your leg is in the same spot is the secondary?

I've ridden a lot of horse's and never taken their hide off.

juju 04-20-2009 08:00 PM

What does MTG mean?
Unfortunatly i probably wont have a video for a while. i do have a horse show on sunday so maybe i can get one - i'll try!
I know that the horse i ride is super sensitive. He is a spooky horse but has needed more and more leg to keep him going and collected. I think that riding in spurs (i'm getting some before the show) will help keep my leg quieter. I dont think that my leg moved that much - i could be wrong but my trainer rarely mentions it. There is another girl riding him but i haven't seen her ride him and from what i hear is very good and has won several finals.

juju 04-20-2009 08:04 PM

Sorry i forgot to add that i ride in tall boots. I agree that it is weird too - i have leased three other horses/ ponies who have needed more leg and this has not happened.

NorthernMama 04-20-2009 10:04 PM

Is the rub marks right where the top of your boots are? Just a thought...

G and K's Mom 04-20-2009 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northernmama (Post 292493)
Is the rub marks right where the top of your boots are? Just a thought...

Yep, if she's riding in high leather boots and using lots of leg the top of the boot could be doing it to him.

twogeldings 04-21-2009 12:22 PM

Shapleys

Not sure what the MTG means myself xD

mls 04-21-2009 12:27 PM

MTG does not GROW hair. It conditions to promote hair growth.

twogeldings 04-21-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 292810)
MTG does not GROW hair. It conditions to promote hair growth.

Yes, sorry >.<
It works rather well though, from what I've seen. I'm thinking about using it on my three-year. I'm roaching his mane. There is nothing left T.T