The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   should I move him? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/should-i-move-him-26487/)

manhirwen 04-21-2009 12:49 AM

should I move him?

OH YAY!!

I just got a call from the barn I wanted to go to. I can go there at the beginning of next month or beginning of June.

FYI This is the difference in the barn where I'm at to the one I want to go to.

Current barn:
$100/mo

Includes:
indoor arena
They'll feed twice daily
large box stall
indoor bathing station w/hot and cold water
tack room

does not include:
stall cleaning
hay
turnout - only have one day a week to turn outdoors
Bedding

The barn I want to go to:
$225 partial care

Includes:
grass and or alfalfa hay
twice daily feedings
daily turnout - weather permitting (24/7 in summer)
indoor arena
round pen
bedding
large stall
indoor bathing station w/hot and cold
Lots of trails right off property
tack room...

Full care $275 = they'll muck out the stall for me... but with turn out all day in summer won't need to very often.

So... opinions... should I switch barns? I pay $75 or so a month on hay and so I'm pretty much paying $175 for what I have right now... so it's only about $50 dollars more per month...
I guess I'm asking, would you consider it worth it to have turnouts and trails and not to worry about buying hay? Oh ya... and having a round pen available...

LeahKathleen 04-21-2009 01:18 AM

I'd make the switch. I think turnout is important and good for them, but that's JMO. Also, I'd want the trails and the round pen. :]

manhirwen 04-21-2009 01:20 AM

How much notice should I give my barn when I do want to move? Do you think a whole month or a couple weeks?

LeahKathleen 04-21-2009 01:26 AM

I think a two weeks would be adequate, but you can always call and ask on their policy.

Jubilee Rose 04-21-2009 09:28 AM

I think this new place sounds great! The price is very reasonable for what it includes. I agree with LK, that turnout is really important for your horse. I'd love to see pics of this place!

mls 04-21-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manhirwen (Post 292681)
How much notice should I give my barn when I do want to move? Do you think a whole month or a couple weeks?

What does your contract say?

Qtswede 04-21-2009 10:45 AM

make the switch, but find out what they find good notice. If you decide you want to go back later(for whatever reasons) you don't want to have burned any bridges. I've had boarders give a month, 2 weeks, a week, and I've had some just cut & run with no warning. Generally, stable owners kind of have an idea when their boarders are getting ready to leave, and Usually it's not an issue any which way, but it does sting when you're out of town, and you get the phone call from the temp barn manager ...'susie q just loaded up her horses, and is rummaging the tack room....'
Be considerate, and keep the door open. You may never go back, but you may get there, and find it's not as great as you hoped...Good luck, and enjoy the trails!

manhirwen 04-21-2009 11:03 AM

Oh I plan to be considerate to the barn. I really like the people but I need a round pen to work with Wiski so I think they'll understand. I Hope. I'll go look at the contract again just to make sure. Since I have a whole months worth of hay left I wouldn't mind waiting till June but I don't want to miss out on this barn.

NewHeart 04-21-2009 11:12 AM

The date to leave is usually set in your contract like mls said. However, for most places it is pretty common to give a 30 days notice.

ilovemyPhillip 04-21-2009 04:42 PM

The new barn would be easier for you, and better for you horse. $275 is cheap. I used to board for $200 a month, but the vet came out every two weeks to check her over (even if she didnt need it) and we had to pay for it. Its usually $600 around here for all the new place has. Good luck!
Anny