The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Barn Maintenance (/barn-maintenance/)
- - should I move him? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/should-i-move-him-26487/)
should I move him?
I just got a call from the barn I wanted to go to. I can go there at the beginning of next month or beginning of June.
FYI This is the difference in the barn where I'm at to the one I want to go to.
They'll feed twice daily
large box stall
indoor bathing station w/hot and cold water
does not include:
turnout - only have one day a week to turn outdoors
The barn I want to go to:
$225 partial care
grass and or alfalfa hay
twice daily feedings
daily turnout - weather permitting (24/7 in summer)
indoor bathing station w/hot and cold
Lots of trails right off property
Full care $275 = they'll muck out the stall for me... but with turn out all day in summer won't need to very often.
So... opinions... should I switch barns? I pay $75 or so a month on hay and so I'm pretty much paying $175 for what I have right now... so it's only about $50 dollars more per month...
I guess I'm asking, would you consider it worth it to have turnouts and trails and not to worry about buying hay? Oh ya... and having a round pen available...
I'd make the switch. I think turnout is important and good for them, but that's JMO. Also, I'd want the trails and the round pen. :]
How much notice should I give my barn when I do want to move? Do you think a whole month or a couple weeks?
I think a two weeks would be adequate, but you can always call and ask on their policy.
I think this new place sounds great! The price is very reasonable for what it includes. I agree with LK, that turnout is really important for your horse. I'd love to see pics of this place!
make the switch, but find out what they find good notice. If you decide you want to go back later(for whatever reasons) you don't want to have burned any bridges. I've had boarders give a month, 2 weeks, a week, and I've had some just cut & run with no warning. Generally, stable owners kind of have an idea when their boarders are getting ready to leave, and Usually it's not an issue any which way, but it does sting when you're out of town, and you get the phone call from the temp barn manager ...'susie q just loaded up her horses, and is rummaging the tack room....'
Be considerate, and keep the door open. You may never go back, but you may get there, and find it's not as great as you hoped...Good luck, and enjoy the trails!
Oh I plan to be considerate to the barn. I really like the people but I need a round pen to work with Wiski so I think they'll understand. I Hope. I'll go look at the contract again just to make sure. Since I have a whole months worth of hay left I wouldn't mind waiting till June but I don't want to miss out on this barn.
The date to leave is usually set in your contract like mls said. However, for most places it is pretty common to give a 30 days notice.
The new barn would be easier for you, and better for you horse. $275 is cheap. I used to board for $200 a month, but the vet came out every two weeks to check her over (even if she didnt need it) and we had to pay for it. Its usually $600 around here for all the new place has. Good luck!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.