The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   New to Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/new-dressage-26507/)

Equuestriaan 04-21-2009 05:29 PM

New to Dressage

I've decided to start learning dressage! Until now I've been having weekly lessons that are 30 minutes of wtc and 30 minutes of jumping. I can't afford additional dressage lessons, but I'm really interested in teaching myself dressage and working on what I'm learning in the time I have. Last week, I worked on bending at the walk, trot, and canter, and it went really well!

I want to learn all I can about dressage, so I'm sorry if I ask a lot of really obvious, dumb questions -- I'm just starting out!! Anyways, I hope I can learn a lot here and that you can all help me understand things like.. the way certain things should feel and stuff.

Dressage book and website suggestions are much appreciated!!

Spyder 04-21-2009 07:26 PM

You can start with these--

::: Sustainable Dressage - - Welcome to my Site about Sustainable Dressage! :::

Classical Dressage Notebook - Putting Theory Into Practice

MIEventer 04-21-2009 07:29 PM

First, good for you for venturing outside of your "lesson" world and wanting to educate yourself to be that much better of a rider, for your horse.

I highly recommend you picking up Sally Swift - she has video's out and you will learn so much from her. She'd be my first step. She really focus's on the rider - because that is the beginning of balance. If you are out, so is your horse.

Very educational.

There are many instructional video's out there and books. Go to your Barn's And Noble or Chapters - lots of Dressage Books there as well.

MyBoyPuck 04-21-2009 08:04 PM

Some book suggestions:

Build a Better Athlete - can't think of the author, but has some great exercises in it.

Both of Sally Swift's centered riding books. (book 2's better)

Cross Training and More Cross Training from Jane Savioe (I disagree with her application of the half halt, but both books are otherwise very good)

I re-read all of these books from time to time both to refresh my skills and tackle any training problems I'm having.

Equuestriaan 04-21-2009 08:42 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions, everyone!! I'm riding tomorrow so won't have time to pick up any books yet, but I probably will go to the bookstore next week. xD Tomorrow my goal is to continue working on bending, and focus on making my transitions smooth instead of a huge leap.