The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Tail Rubbing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/tail-rubbing-26530/)

cowgirlfitzy 04-21-2009 11:26 PM

Tail Rubbing

I wanted to know any ideas you guys might have to why my mare's tail is going bald. I just got her 2 weeks ago and I havn't noticed her rubbing at all but she obviously has been. My trainer had her previously and said that she had noticed her rubbing. I talked to vet already and he wants me to deworm her now and again in 2 weeks with ivermection. Incase its pin worms. Her tail was just washed just Friday because she had her first show and I noticed a small patch of hair missing at that time. It is now a large patch on top and very noticable. I was thinking about getting some MTG to put on it but I was reading on here that it can cause burning. I'm not really sure what else to try. I think we can rule out the products I'm using seeing how it started before I got her and they didn't use anything. I try to keep some kind of conditioner in there regularly. I'm just wondering what else I could try.

I'll take a pic tomorrow to show you guys.

rider4life422 04-21-2009 11:35 PM

Willards water works GREAT to help stop the itching/rubbing. I diluted some in a spray bottle with water. I can try and dig up the website to order it from if you would like. My horse rubbed his mane and tail. I have also heard about mtg burning so i would hesitate to do it on sore skin. I also got some oatmeal lotion to help, it also makes the tail kinda slick so it slides when they rub. Good luck! I know how fustrating it is, my horse is sensitive to bug bites so summers were really crappy for a while.

Countrygal892000 04-21-2009 11:39 PM

she could have lice... try to delouse her.. rinse very very well.. or she could have dry skin... my horse had this problem awhile back and was rubbing.. turned out she just had dry skin... I used cowboy magics dandruff shampoo and it worked like a charm... try to use a shampoo that is for sensitive skin and doesn't dry it out...

toosleepy 04-22-2009 08:34 AM

along with the above statements of worming, dry hair, dandruff ect. I'd check her udders and see if she's dirty. In geldings they will rub if their sheath is dirty, i've heard the same for mares udders. Its worth a shot.

MN Tigerstripes 04-22-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toosleepy (Post 293391)
I'd check her udders and see if she's dirty. i've heard the same for mares udders. Its worth a shot.

My mare rubs A LOT when she is dirty. Once I figured out what it was, I started cleaning her and no more rubbing.

cowgirlfitzy 04-23-2009 11:19 PM

I think it was worms. I dewormed her yesterday and I seen some by her anus today. The person I purchased her from said she was just wormed but I'm questioning that because the used ivermectin and that should have took care of these. I'm gonna worm her again in 2 weeks. She does have a lot of dandruff on her rump and I have been spraying her coat with a coat conditioner and curying like crazy. I've been using my leave in treatment on her tail (thanks toosleepy ;) I don't think its lice because you can usually see them and I've looked pretty thoroughly. Oh and her teats arn't bad. she was pretty clean. Thanks for all the input. I did put some mtg on it. I hope it was the worms and that takes care of it because it looks sooo bad.

shelly123 04-24-2009 01:35 AM

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone.
Shelly Smith.