The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Please help me with my Standardbred (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/please-help-me-my-standardbred-265545/)

jeffj6609 08-28-2013 11:30 AM

Please help me with my Standardbred
 
I am new to Standardbreds and am trying to figure out how to fix a problem. My horse is a 7 year old Mare that has been trained to singlefoot. She singlefoots really good at low speeds but when she speeds up above around 10 mph she starts to get a skip in the rear end. She speeds up to around 20 mph but it sounds and feels like she is walking with her front legs and running with her rear legs. As of right now she is keg shod. I have tried riding her different ways and changing bits but that didnt work. I really dont know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

caglover 08-28-2013 12:34 PM

What type of bit are you using?

Are you trying to get some "Speed Rack" from her?

greentree 08-28-2013 12:45 PM

Are you sure it is not a pace? Pace is smooth at slow speeds, but rough when it gets faster, and 20 mph is pretty dang fast!!

Nancy

jeffj6609 08-28-2013 03:20 PM

Yes speed racking is what I'm looking to do. I have used a regular snaffle with short shank and a standard curb bit with low relief. I just purchased a twisted loose ring snaffle im going to try on her tomorrow.

jeffj6609 08-28-2013 03:22 PM

Yes I am sure its not a pace. It sounds like a run but it is not. Almost a run but not. And 20 mph is nothing against the ones that are doing 30+ lol.

Idrivetrotters 08-28-2013 03:27 PM

Speed racking takes a lot of time and patience to do it properly. Start out doing a lot of walking interspaced with some slow singlefooting. I'd spend at least 2-3 weeks just slowly building up the muscles and endurance. Then spend another 2 weeks asking for small increments of speed then reward her by going back down to the slower rack, don't forget a few mins of walking to let her back relax.

It takes up to 90 days to get a speed racking horse and keep them sound so do not skip on conditioning.

Gaited07 08-28-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idrivetrotters (Post 3485441)
Speed racking takes a lot of time and patience to do it properly. Start out doing a lot of walking interspaced with some slow singlefooting. I'd spend at least 2-3 weeks just slowly building up the muscles and endurance. Then spend another 2 weeks asking for small increments of speed then reward her by going back down to the slower rack, don't forget a few mins of walking to let her back relax.

It takes up to 90 days to get a speed racking horse and keep them sound so do not skip on conditioning.


Best advice^

Take your time and her's in order to build those muscles for more speed. In time and patience you will have a nice speed racker.

I would like to add: when you feel her break gait, transition down by using half halts. Let those hind legs catch up to the front legs:)

FYI; any bit with shanks and broken mouth piece is still a shank/leverage bit :)
You do NOT need any special bits, shoes or etc in order to get this horse to speed rack or gait, just patience and training.

Gaited07 08-28-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 3484073)
Are you sure it is not a pace? Pace is smooth at slow speeds, but rough when it gets faster, and 20 mph is pretty dang fast!!

Nancy


??? Out of all my years with gaited horses, I never found a comfortable pace at any speed ;)
A stepping pace is smooth but not, never ever a true pace.

Guilherme 08-28-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffj6609 (Post 3483385)
I am new to Standardbreds and am trying to figure out how to fix a problem. My horse is a 7 year old Mare that has been trained to singlefoot. She singlefoots really good at low speeds but when she speeds up above around 10 mph she starts to get a skip in the rear end. She speeds up to around 20 mph but it sounds and feels like she is walking with her front legs and running with her rear legs. As of right now she is keg shod. I have tried riding her different ways and changing bits but that didnt work. I really dont know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The video camera is your friend.

Have someone video you riding the horse as you normally do (don't "spruce it up" for the camera). Then watch it and evaluate the gait.

G.

jeffj6609 08-28-2013 07:00 PM

Thanks for the help
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0