The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   General Off Topic Discussion (/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I need work advice before I go crazy...(long rant) (

Wildfire89 08-28-2013 01:16 PM

I need work advice before I go crazy...(long rant)
Ok, so I am 24 and have been working since I was 16. I worked at a daycare for 5 years, I have been a nanny/babysitter for several families, I have worked summer camps, and I worked for a quadriplegic.
I currently am a nanny for a 5 year old boy and have watched him for a year. I love him to pieces but at times it really sucks for a few reasons:

1) I don't even make minimum wage and my overtime pay is just above minimum wage (I work several hours of overtime per week. I don't get asked, they just show up late). If I clean their house I get an additional $5-$10 per week which is so not worth it because they are slobs. They don't put food away or shut cabinets when they are done and they don't even clean their toilets, they just replace them frequently.

2) I don't get along with the mom (or the momster as I call her). She spoils the kid rotten, still wipes his butt for him, makes deals when he throws fits and most of the time lets him hit, kick, etc. When I tell her if he has had a bad day she shrugs it off and looks at me like I am lying or it's my fault.

3) They want me to take him places but most of the time I don't get paid for gas so gas comes out of my pocket as well as any food I get him when we are out.

Just the other day the quadriplegic contacted me asking if I would like to work for her again. I would start in 5 weeks. While I am waiting for more details I let the kid's parents know that there was a chance I might be switching jobs, just so they would have plenty of notice. Well the mom is being a b**ch about it. She's basically saying that I need to make a decision now and she's already looking at putting the kiddo in full-time school next week which means I would be out of work for at least a month while I waited for the other job to start. I told her that I'm not even sure I would go with that job, but she's still acting all pissed off and implying that I may lose my job for even thinking about switching. I thought I was doing the right thing by giving them the heads up, but now I am regretting it.

I am torn between the 2 jobs. Working for the quadriplegic would be more fun and less drama. She is my age and we get along well. The pay would probably be at least $3 more per hour, maybe even $5 more per hour. But I am a bit worried that I would lose the job sooner than I would the nanny job. The nanny job I would have for at least another year, longer if they get pregnant (they have been trying for awhile). With the quadriplegic, I randomly lost my job because she pulled herself out of therapy and moved away (she is moving back into town in 5 weeks). So there are pros and cons to both jobs.
I need to go with the one that is the most stable and makes more sense financially. But neither one have both the stability and the pay. I have several animals and if I lose my job I don't know how I will feed them.
Where I live now I have had really bad luck with job searching. I went over a year being unemployed and I applied for at least 2-3 jobs per day.
So currently these are my only 2 options and I really need advice.
Sorry for the long rant!

Corporal 08-28-2013 01:44 PM

Work for the quadriplegic and save yourself the drama. I am sure that you will end your days feeling better about yourself. =D

Darrin 08-28-2013 01:45 PM

Not sure about your state laws and your profession. It's quite possible they are illegal in not paying you minimum wage or OT worked so there's the possibility of recovering back wages. I would at least contact your state labor board and find out where you stand in the eye of state law.

Again, not knowing your state laws but if they let you go there's the possibility of getting unemployment out of them. Look into that.

Last of all, don't stay in a job where you are treated like crap, expected to spend your own money with no reimbursement and you are unhappy. Personally I would take the other job in a second.

Now comes the last piece of advice. Employers are all to often not loyal to their employees anymore and that quadriplegic has proved she's not. Don't worry about looking for work while employed by her, she's left you once already so if you leave her for a better job.. karma's a bitch. I would only worry about leaving an employer that's showed me they are loyal to their employees and there's not to many of those out there.

Cacowgirl 08-28-2013 01:52 PM

The family you are with now do not deserve your loyalty. Go for less drama & more money!

verona1016 08-28-2013 02:09 PM

I'd definitely take the job offer, even if it means a few weeks of unemployment. The nanny job sounds terrible. I try to avoid getting myself into debt, but in this situation I'd try and live as frugally as possible and put any necessities on credit in the interim. You could also put off telling them that you've accepted the new job as long as possible (two weeks notice is plenty of time, and probably more than they deserve...) If they fire you on the spot then you're down to just 2 weeks between jobs.

Wildfire89 08-28-2013 03:55 PM

I think the mom is actually hoping I take the other job. Like I said, we don't see eye-to-eye and I have felt before like she was looking for an excuse to let me go. I get along well with the dad. We are on the same page with discipline and I think he likes that I don't coddle his son like his wife does.
I think the mom has been wanting to let me go, but the dad has said no. And this is a perfect excuse for her to get her way, and would explain why less than 24 hours after me saying that I MIGHT take another job she has already looked into putting her son into full-time school.

LadyDreamer 08-28-2013 05:08 PM

Take the other job and keep an eye and ear out for what you are looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 08-28-2013 05:53 PM

if you are not even making minimum wage why even bother ?

Roadyy 08-28-2013 05:53 PM

Go talk to the dad since he has been the force keeping you there. See if he will work with you to keep you til the other job kicks to repay you for all the extra you have put into his son.

Wildfire89 08-28-2013 08:07 PM


Originally Posted by Roadyy (Post 3487481)
Go talk to the dad since he has been the force keeping you there. See if he will work with you to keep you til the other job kicks to repay you for all the extra you have put into his son.

Honestly, I don't know how much say he has anymore since I did open my big fat mouth about possibly taking another job.
He got home from work today and basically did a bit of damage control after his wife acted so bitchy this morning. I guess she has been talking about putting the kiddo into full-time Montessori school which would cost a pretty penny. She said from the get-go that they can only afford to pay me ~$125 a week for full-time care, but yet she has had 2 Mercedes and now drives a volkswagen.
And James (the dad) mentioned a comment she made recently "well she (meaning me) is getting married soon" and I'm fairly certain that wasn't meant as a good thing as far as my position goes. I'm thinking she was using that as another reason to let me go. I asked him if I turn down the other job if I would still have a job watching the munchkin and he couldn't say for sure.
I am really stressed over the whole thing. I don't know what job is the right one to go with. I would definitely have more fun and less drama with the quadriplegic. She is a really cool girl and there is so much less pressure.
I just worry about losing that job again. What happened last time was her boyfriend came over on one of the nights I was taking care of her and while I was doing laundry they got high. He was supposed to help me get her into her wheelchair for therapy the next morning but he had kept his high up throughout the night and couldn't get out of bed, and as a result she missed therapy and she wound up quitting and moving in with him. They aren't together anymore and she has grown up a lot, but I still worry that something might happen again.
It might be worth the risk tho, at least I won't have to feel like I am on the verge of getting fired like I have been for months at my current job.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome