The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Racking Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/racking-mare-265913/)

EmsTNWalkers 08-28-2013 07:52 PM

Racking Mare

3 Attachment(s)
I need some opinions on this mare. When we got her we were told she is a racking mare and she used to pull a cart. Sadly, the owner died and this mare was just left in the field starving. Since we got her in June she has gained a ton of weight and has turned in to such a beautiful girl! These pics are from about a month ago. I'm wondering if she may be a standardbred? I have TWH and am not familiar with them. Thoughts? Also, her mane was roached and her tail cut straight. It is now in the awkward growing out stage.

Attachment 268209

Attachment 268217

Attachment 268225

SueNH 08-28-2013 08:26 PM

It would be an unusual standardbred color. Is that a light cream color? Hard to tell from my screen. Or just a dusty gray coat?
Gray is a rare standardbred color, creams and palominos nearly unheard of.

The racking horses can be any of the gaited breeds or crosses.
She doesn't look to standarbredy to me but there is a lot of variation in the breed.

gunslinger 08-28-2013 09:08 PM

She favors the old foundation bread or Legacy Tennessee Walking Horse breeding to me.....much different than the modern day show horse...

Idrivetrotters 08-29-2013 09:56 PM

That is not a Standardbred, she looks like an old style/Foundation TWH and they are my 2nd favorite behind Standardbreds.

I think she is really nice looking mare and you got yourself a good horse.

EmsTNWalkers 08-31-2013 11:23 PM

Thanks guys. I never considered foundation twh. Hmmmm....

She is a sweet girl and I can't wait to ride her and see what she can do!

tinyliny 09-01-2013 12:10 AM

MY first impression is TWH. very cute mare!