The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping my TWH? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-my-twh-265977/)

Chelseafar 08-28-2013 09:10 PM

Jumping my TWH?

So in January I got my 13 year old 17hh TWH. He's a big guy! He's so perfect and we enjoy a lot of trail rides together. Unfortunately I moved and don't have a trailer so although i'm more in the country i'm farther from accessible trails. It's just the gravel rode. Yuck. ANYWAYS-- the girl I bought him from said he's been there done it all and even said she's jumped him. I have also jumped a few small branches, logs, etc. on him during trail rides. On to my question I guess..lol

So do you think this is something Skyy and I could do? I'd get a trainer of course and he doesn't know how to trot...He does gait. I really doubt he'd have a problem learning because he learns SO fast and is always aiming to please. I wouldn't do it to become world famous twh jumper girl. Honestly I just want something fun to do with him besides riding in an arena and round pen! A lot of people do barrels around here but he's just too big for that although it doesn't stop him from trying LOL

If so are there anythings I can do to prepare myself and him?

I have a few pictures of him. :]

Thanks!

Acco 09-12-2013 03:16 PM

If he's willing, go for it. Don't expect him to win any hunter classes, but just for fun - why not?

I ride at a hunter/jumper barn and we have what we think is a TWH mixed with QH (our best guess) - he does trot and canter, but it's kind of a funky trot and canter, like it's a little bit gaited and a little normal. Or perhaps he switches between gaiting and not gaiting. Idk, but it feels pretty weird. Comfy, but weird. He goes in lessons and can jump up to 2'6", he just never gets taken to shows because the judges would be like 'wtf is that?' :) He's actually really good at making tight jumper turns, and he's super safe for the kids.

MN Tigerstripes 09-12-2013 03:23 PM

I used to jump my TWHs regularly when I was a teenager. Like you it was just for fun. We had a grand time with the little courses I set up. Just make sure your jumps are safe and you ALWAYS wear a helmet. Definitely get a trainer if you haven't jumped before. I'd been jumping for a good 3 years with a trainer before I taught my mare.

Saddlebag 09-12-2013 05:31 PM

Good heavens, don't try to switch him to trot. Enjoy the running walk. Horses in the wild leap 4' high obstacles. How high you can eventually take this horse depends on his conformation, but he should be able to eventually handle 3 ft or more.

womack29 09-12-2013 09:35 PM

I ride a TWH and my mare has done everything I have ever asked her to do. We ride endurance trail but when we moved and she was boarded while building our house we were at a barn with tons of barrel racers. Well she learned the pattern and we played around with that. I have read articles about TWH doing all kinds of disciplines

jimgreene 09-12-2013 11:00 PM

that sounds nice