The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   o so wooly help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/o-so-wooly-help-26599/)

Barebackrider 04-23-2009 04:58 AM

o so wooly help

Hi one of my mares angel she is very woolly come winter, any way I can't rug her and when I go for a ride because she is sooooooo woolly she sweats cause it's hot by day and cool by night so any ideas how to keep her cool I tie up her cause its so thick any way any ideas plz help.
Ireland

weefoal 04-23-2009 06:33 AM

Is it still cold there at night?

If its warm all the time I would get some clippers and body clip her

If its cold at night do a trace clip which means you just clip where she sweats (belly, chest etc)

EternalSun 04-23-2009 10:54 PM

Isn't it the beginning of winter or fall in Austrailia? How hot / cold does it get exactly?

StormyBlues 04-23-2009 10:58 PM

I would body clip and then blanket and rug her

charliBum 04-23-2009 11:25 PM

rug her in the night, my boy is like this atm and I jsut rug at night, its clipping time atm so I would do a blanket and rug him! if not then jsut dont ride so much if shes getting sweaty

Barebackrider 05-05-2009 05:00 AM

thanks all it's been real helpful

Barebackrider 05-05-2009 05:01 AM

i can't rug her and she needs to loss weight so I can't back off on riding

Jillyann 05-05-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barebackrider (Post 301623)
i can't rug her and she needs to loss weight so I can't back off on riding

Why can't you rug her?

angelsgrace 05-06-2009 03:39 AM

my dad won't let me cause, he remembers when he was a kid his mum was always fixing horse rugs, and cause I'm living with my parents I have to be good or some thing to that effect lol
na they are great but I wish they would let my rug her

Pinto Pony 05-06-2009 04:08 AM

I don't clip my boys but they are rugged at night. It gets too cold in the middle of winter here to have him clipped and out 24/7, we don;t have stables.

What I do to keep him cool while training is warm him up a little then get some water and a sponge, then I sponge his chest and around the girth with water, then we work and the evaporation helps cool him. Then I also sponge him after the ride and dry him off as best as I can afterwards. Generally if he is used to it and you aren't running him into the ground during your rides a little sweat won't hurt him. Just clean him up well after the ride to avoid him getting itchy from dried sweat.