The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Endurance Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/endurance-horses-2661/)

agentspades 07-24-2007 03:05 PM

Endurance Horses

Hello, what do you all think would be a good endurance race horse? I really like Arabs, just not sure that I could deal with their personalities.

firelight27 07-24-2007 03:15 PM

Arabs are excellent endurance rides. Not all arabians have the same personallity. Some are hot, while others are very laid back. Arabians have a bad reputation for being hot, but each horse has a different personallity, you just have to go out and look at the horse. You might try a morgan/arab cross. I had one and he had the best attitude in the world and could go forever. Good luck!

Sara 07-24-2007 03:26 PM

I wouldn't discount arabs...but if you want to look at other breeds, you might try morgans or mustangs. Apparently, akhal-tekes are good, but I don't know much about them. Or go half and half and look at morabs.

Sara 07-24-2007 03:27 PM

Ha, you beat me to it, Fire:P

LoveMyAppy 07-25-2007 11:54 AM

Arab crosses are excellent. like a National Show horse.

Tessa Bear 07-25-2007 12:39 PM

if you want a smooth ride w/ lots of endurance look ingto peruvian paso's however they are spirited. and require diffrent tack, and sometimes hard to find and when you do they will be probably be pricey. it just depends on what you want :)

firelight27 07-25-2007 04:33 PM

Sara is right about mustangs. They are hardy as a general rule and have alot of endurance. A girl I knew had an arab/mustang and it beat out my morab at endurance riding.

crackrider 07-25-2007 11:52 PM

Pure arabs seem to be the best at endurance but any horse can do it with the right training it just depends whether you want to be competitive or not!

Part arabs do really well competitivly and i know of some that are champions and compete internationally with much success!!!

Do you want to be competitive? or just complete the ride successfully?

We have a saying in the endurance world: "To complete is to win!"

If you complete the ride with a happy and healthy horse you have already won even if you come last!!!

cheekyhorse 07-26-2007 02:36 AM

you can't beat an arab as a top endurance horse. However, my father in law has a Missouri Fox Trotter that he is now doing 100's on. But all of his other horses are arabs. You could sit to that horse all day and not get sore too, so that's a bonus.

Rocco's Quest 07-26-2007 06:20 AM

If your looking for a good indurance Arabs are the best, even though they are a bit hot they will go for ages, anyway if they are to hot you can feed them green tea leaves or calming food, which works for my horses